AFR BBC Oval Port Heads - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jul 29th, 09, 9:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Green Weenie

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob West
Default Re: AFR BBC Oval Port Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Coupe View Post
There is only one place to fully test this head (on the drag strip) and I have the mule.
Granted a 3 legged mule at this time I've got a mule too, but I've got 5 or 6 points races left, hate to change mid stream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 29th, 09, 9:34 PM
Tech Team

Guys....

Please get that this is an extremely capable street head.....Its a street head first and foremost but one that would still be respectable at the track in the right configuration.

Its not aimed or marketed to be the ultimate strip head because when I think strip I think more cam, more compression, mechanical roller, and more RPM. Now we might consider a 315 or even larger in a max effort build.

In a 454 that you wanted to terrorize both (street and strip) the 290 cc oval would do some serious damage, but would need a mechanical roller to stay out of valve float and stretch her legs.

Dont get me wrong....Im going to test this on pump gas 91 octane and put the screws to it with a mechanical roller and a single plane intake and I hope to see 650 - 675 HP with a 10 to 1 thirty over 454.....maybe it will make that and maybe it wont but those are my hopes. What I'm more interested in however is what the rest of the curve looks like and that's what holds particular interest to me.

The reality is this would be a perfect head in your tow rig....a 3500 series 454 dually with a small cam and a dual plane intake and headers. It would rock right off idle and make big torque everywhere.....however change up the combo a bit and it will also deliver in your street/strip Chevelle. It has a wide array of applications due to the fact its a small runner that moves alot of air with a very impressive curve from the crack of the valve to .650 lift....covers the entire gambit of any cam you are likely to run in a true 265 cc ideal combination. Our 315 is very similar but made for slightly larger combinations ideally.....you could put one on a 454 and make great power and install the same head on a 555 and also have great success....the key to both is they are very efficient and move a ton of air per their given volume and cross section....thats what makes them extremely flexible and able to cater to many different combos.

-Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; Jul 29th, 09 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jul 29th, 09, 9:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR View Post
Guy....

Please get that this is an extremely capable street head.....Its a street head first and foremost but one that would still be respectable at the track in the right configuration.

Its not aimed or marketed to be the ultimate strip head because when I think strip I think more cam, more compression, mechanical roller, and more RPM. Now we might consider a 315 or even larger in a max effort build.

In a 454 that you wanted to terrorize both (street and strip) the 290 cc oval would do some serious damage, but would need a mechanical roller to stay out of valve float and stretch her legs.

Dont get me wrong....Im going to test this on pump gas 91 octane and put the screws to it with a mechanical roller and a single plane intake and I hope to see 650 - 675 HP with a 10 to 1 thirty over 454.....maybe it will make that and maybe it wont but those are my hopes. What I'm more interested in however is what the rest of the curve looks like and that's what holds particular interest to me.

The reality is this would be a perfect head in your tow rig....a 3500 series 454 dually with a small cam and a dual plane intake and headers. It would rock right off idle and make big torque everywhere.....however change up the combo a bit and it will also deliver in your street/strip Chevelle. It has a wide array of applications due to the fact its a small runner that moves alot of air with a very impressive curve from the crack of the valve to .650 lift....covers the entire gambit of any cam you are likely to run in a true 265 cc ideal combination. Our 315 is very similar but made for slightly larger combinations ideally.....you could put one on a 454 and make great power and install the same head on a 555 and also have great success....the key to both is they are very efficient and move a ton of air per their given volume and cross section....thats what makes them extremely flexible and able to cater to many different combos.

-Tony
Let me put that thing to the test
Old Jul 29th, 09, 10:50 PM
Senior Tech Team

Don't take the comments so serious Tony, you seem to be getting defensive. I would guess my combo has sold a few pairs of 305's for you.(where's my free T-shirt...) Many, many folks have asked me how I do what I do with a 305 cc head when most are running much larger ports.

The proof is in the pudding and I'm sure the 265's and 290's will compete well in the arena they are designed for!

Old Jul 29th, 09, 10:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob West View Post
Granted a 3 legged mule at this time I've got a mule too, but I've got 5 or 6 points races left, hate to change mid stream
The 3 legged mule can rise to the occasion if/when it needs to.
Old Jul 29th, 09, 11:10 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Coupe View Post
Don't take the comments so serious Tony, you seem to be getting defensive. I would guess my combo has sold a few pairs of 305's for you.(where's my free T-shirt...) Many, many folks have asked me how I do what I do with a 305 cc head when most are running much larger ports.

The proof is in the pudding and I'm sure the 265's and 290's will compete well in the arena they are designed for!

I wasn't taking anything you said in a negative fashion at all. And if I sounded defensive I apologize.....sometimes the written word doesn't come across as intended. The largest issue I am concerned with is people not understanding or confusing the target market these heads are designed for. You would be surprised how easily that can happen.

Its all good here and I appreciate your real world input on our product.....its very welcomed actually.

Here are a handful of quick pics I took today. Quality and lighting isnt the greatest but you guys can at least get a better idea/feel for the product.

Cheers,
Tony

Old Jul 29th, 09, 11:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dustin

What is the combustion chamber volume?
Old Jul 29th, 09, 11:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Tony, have the head's been rolled any? I have a couple Dart Intake's that matches the GMPP gasket pn 12366985 perfectly ( which incidently is the only exact fit roval gasket I have seen). Will this gasket be applicable to your port as well or will you have your own gasket? I may be a player for your cnc'd version when it is finished. I ask because the Edelbrock head's I currently have are rolled some.
Old Jul 29th, 09, 11:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny Vince

Man...I thought I was looking at Edelbrock heads for a second!

Sure you didnt call up 'ol Vic and get castings from him...j/k

Those are gorgeous!

Old Jul 30th, 09, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
John

Very nice looking for sure.......

I don't have a Chevelle, but I wish I did!!
69 Corvette Stingray
454, 6 speed, 11.87 @ 124 mph (full street trim) all motor, only trip to the track

63 Corvette A-gas / Top Sportsman
Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous systems.
Bests:
4.61 / 155
7.170 at 192.6
Old Jul 30th, 09, 8:15 PM
Tech Team

How would a 265 head fair on a 10.5:1 496 with 252-260 @.050 .598 solid FT in a 4300 lb vehicle? Mostly street but will make a trip or two to track. Would it support 6000-6500 rpm?

Would I be better off with the 305? I really like the looks of the 265 head as far as numbers go. Actually I would be at 10.7:1 with a 114cc chamber. I only have 91 fuel available here.

Thanks, Jeff
Old Jul 30th, 09, 9:18 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1961 View Post
How would a 265 head fair on a 10.5:1 496 with 252-260 @.050 .598 solid FT in a 4300 lb vehicle? Mostly street but will make a trip or two to track. Would it support 6000-6500 rpm?

Would I be better off with the 305? I really like the looks of the 265 head as far as numbers go. Actually I would be at 10.7:1 with a 114cc chamber. I only have 91 fuel available here.

Thanks, Jeff
It would kick azzz if you wanted to place your emphasis on the street side of the street/strip equation and run damn hard at the track as well.

My air dyno has that combo making 625 ft.lbs and 660 HP (a mechanical roller would have been a fair amount stronger). Note you would have a 112 chamber with the CNC chamber version which is what I based my hypothetical power numbers from....that gets you just under 11.0 which is really perfect anyway as far as Im concerned. You have enough cam to bleed off excess cylinder pressure.

In a 3900 lb Chevelle (race weight) with drag radials or the like, that combo would run 10.90's at 126 MPH with a very modest 60 foot time....with slicks or ET streets it would go similar trap speeds and ET in the 10.70's likely.

Of course it would be a hoot to drive on the street with tire shredding torque at practically any RPM....

Go for it....spring for a roller cam if its in the budget. Its worth 25+ HP in this application

-Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbkwik@yahoo.com View Post
Tony, have the head's been rolled any? I have a couple Dart Intake's that matches the GMPP gasket pn 12366985 perfectly ( which incidently is the only exact fit roval gasket I have seen). Will this gasket be applicable to your port as well or will you have your own gasket? I may be a player for your cnc'd version when it is finished. I ask because the Edelbrock head's I currently have are rolled some.
Heads are 24' just like our current rect port line-up with all the valves and geometry in exactly the same position/location.

A stock GM "roval" gasket will work perfectly btw....we used that gasket to shape and position the leading entrance of the heads....after that its a completely different approach to the valves (compared to the Eddy/GM piece).

-Tony
Old Jul 30th, 09, 10:02 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR View Post
It would kick azzz if you wanted to place your emphasis on the street side of the street/strip equation and run damn hard at the track as well.

My air dyno has that combo making 625 ft.lbs and 660 HP (a mechanical roller would have been a fair amount stronger). Note you would have a 112 chamber with the CNC chamber version which is what I based my hypothetical power numbers from....that gets you just under 11.0 which is really perfect anyway as far as Im concerned. You have enough cam to bleed off excess cylinder pressure.

In a 3900 lb Chevelle (race weight) with drag radials or the like, that combo would run 10.90's at 126 MPH with a very modest 60 foot time....with slicks or ET streets it would go similar trap speeds and ET in the 10.70's likely.

Of course it would be a hoot to drive on the street with tire shredding torque at practically any RPM....

Go for it....spring for a roller cam if its in the budget. Its worth 25+ HP in this application

-Tony

Heads are 24' just like our current rect port line-up with all the valves and geometry in exactly the same position/location.

A stock GM "roval" gasket will work perfectly btw....we used that gasket to shape and position the leading entrance of the heads....after that its a completely different approach to the valves (compared to the Eddy/GM piece).

-Tony
Thank you Tony! Just what I thought the case would be. Now I know what I'm getting for X-mas or before. Appreciate the time!

Thanks, Jeff
Old Jul 30th, 09, 11:07 PM
Paul

I've said all along that the old now long gone cast-iron Merlin VR 290 cc true large oval port heads would be dandies IF brought back to a modern designed life w/ 90 cc open chambers so that out of the box, they would pump up the CR of a stock 454 P/U engine.

And they are true large ovals if I remember right.

pdq67
Old Jul 31st, 09, 12:02 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
I've said all along that the old now long gone cast-iron Merlin VR 290 cc true large oval port heads would be dandies IF brought back to a modern designed life w/ 90 cc open chambers so that out of the box, they would pump up the CR of a stock 454 P/U engine.

And they are true large ovals if I remember right.

pdq67
PDQ,

You just love those "offbeat" scenarios huh.....LOL

Those "dandies" would need some serious re-engineering in their port designs (have you ever flowed a set of those) and it's basically impossible to have an open design chamber at 90 cc's.....not with a 24-26' valve angle. You would have to stuff the chamber full of aluminum (or cast iron) shrouding the valves completely in the process to make them that small (killing flow and killing power).

A flatter valve angle is required (for a smaller efficient chamber) because then the depth or angle of the valve would allow you to not have the chamber so deep which is what ends up eating up all that volume. Even the trick 14-18 degree Big Chief style chambers only manage to displace in the 90 cc range but are much better chambers from a design/functionality standpoint.

As far as a really effective oval design I don't think there is a need to wish for anything anymore....these new heads are going to deliver if the airflow curve and cross sectional area produces the power the numbers would lead you to believe. Not to mention I cant wait to get the green light on the 290 cc project. That head is really going to be something special if my instincts serve me well.

Will keep you guys in the loop on that as this oval port project continues to unfold....

-Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: AFR BBC Oval Port Heads
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.