How to read a cam grind number... - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Feb 2nd, 09, 8:28 PM
Team Member
Shane

Default How to read a cam grind number...

I am looking for a cam and am curious as to how to read a grind/part number at the end of the cam...

How to read...

Lunati...

Comp...

Crane...

What is the part number?
What is the grind number?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 2nd, 09, 10:22 PM
Team Member
Shane

Default Re: How to read a cam grind number...

OK I think I found some specs on a cam that I am interested in...

BBC 454...

I am busy schooling myself on what the numbers mean and how you get intensities etc...

224/234
.525/.550

but whats the 114CL mean?

Still readin...
Old Feb 2nd, 09, 10:31 PM
Tech Team
Greg

The grind number gives you the basic cam info. Like the Crane 274HO6-tells you the adv. duration is 274 degrees, H is for hydraulic, an 06 tells you the lobe separation angle of 106. Part number is 100172 which really tells you nothing. The cam companies all have their own "grind numbers". Some actually give you some cam data, others do not make too much sense. Some of Isky's grinds are somewhat informative like the 280 Mega Hydraulic tells you it has 280 degrees of duration but that is about it. An Isky RPM 300 cam does not really tell you too much and usually this cam is 270 duration, 228 @ .050 duration, on a 108 LSA. You really need to look at the cam card to find all the specs on the cam and sometimes what is stamped on the end of the cam may not give you too much info. I once had a Melling cam I ordered for a Pontiac motor but when I looked at the end stamping it cross referenced to a big block chevy cam. I called Melling and they said to send it back for them to check it out. It was a Pontiac cam but he said sometimes the stamp numbers may not give you the right info!!
Old Feb 2nd, 09, 10:47 PM
Team Member
Shane

I am going to pick a cam and call someone at the company and see what info I can find out that way...

Does anyone have a good website for reading about camshafts???

I understand what each section of the lobe does and how it works in conjunction with the carnk via the timing gears...just need to figure out how the numbers work now...
Old Feb 2nd, 09, 11:05 PM
Tech Team
Greg

The 224 means the duration at .050 on the intake, 234 is the .050 dur. on the exhaust, .525 and .550 are the intake and exhaust valve lifts. The 114CL could mean either the intake center line of the cam lobe is installed 114 deg. after top center or more likely it is refering to the lobe serparation angle which is the angle between the maximum lift point( or center) of the intake lobe and the max. lift point on the exhaust lobe. A wide LSA like 114 usually gives a broad power range, smoother idle, and increased high rpm power. A tight or lower LSA usually like 106-110 will usually give better low and midrange power but is more "peaky" and comes on with more of a bang but the higher rpm power falls off more quickly. A tight LSA cam usually has a rougher idle due to increased overlap( given the same cam specs except for the LSA change) and does not make as much vacuum as the wider LSA cam. Intensity if found by subtracting the .050 duration from the advertised duration. A 270 adv. duration with a 220 .050 duration would have a hydraulic intensity of 50. Another modern fast lobe cam might have an adv. duration of 270 but an .050 duration of 230 or have a 40 intensity. The lower the intensity number the quicker the valves open and close as I understand it. Am sure there is a lot more to it than that but gives you some idea.
Old Feb 2nd, 09, 11:38 PM
Team Member
Shane

Got it...

A big thanks...

this isnt a street cam is it?
Old Feb 3rd, 09, 11:31 AM
Tech Team
Greg

A very good book on cams is the one by David Vizard, one of the best SBC authors. The book is Chevrolet Small-Block V-8 Camshafts and Valvetrains. This is a Powerpro Series book and is available through amazon for around $20. Very informative book on cams.
Old Feb 3rd, 09, 11:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Craig

Hello,
If you go to the Comp. Cams website they have a program there that you can enter all your vehicle info into ie.. weight,gear ratio,compression of motor,and so on. By using this program they will show you the best cam grind for your application. Its worth a try to do this to get a good idea of whats availible for your set up, Just my suggestion,good luck
70' ElCamino 414 BBC,046 heads stock valves bowl blend and port smooth,1.7 rollers,7/16 push rods,Straub Tech custom Hyd. Roller,Speed pro +.060 with .319 dome,MSD,Holley 750 vac sec.Edl Air Gap,130GPH Holley mech fuel pump,ARP head/main studs,7/16 rod bolts,Tremec TKO600 5 speed with .82 overdrive gear,Quick Performance 9",True trac posi 3.50ratio,DM rear adj. arms,Ground up disc brake conversion, serp belt drive and more...
Old Feb 3rd, 09, 2:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

Send a message via AIM to BowtieAaron

high performance camshafts and valvetrain by SA designs/Cartech books..
i bought mine at borders in whitehall... about 18 bucks.
pick one up. very good book, helps you choose the right one, gets down to the math involved in designing and explains everything you need to know about a cam.

aaron
368rwhp 383rwtq n/a with carb
12.23 @ 110 1.68 60ft
Dyno video NA
http://youtu.be/PvZ7tDVyryw
Old Feb 3rd, 09, 5:09 PM
Team Member
Shane

A big thanks guys...
Old Feb 3rd, 09, 5:18 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Chevyboy_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by costtxcamino View Post
Hello,
If you go to the Comp. Cams website they have a program there that you can enter all your vehicle info into ie.. weight,gear ratio,compression of motor,and so on. By using this program they will show you the best cam grind for your application. Its worth a try to do this to get a good idea of whats availible for your set up, Just my suggestion,good luck
I downloaded that program, it's called camquest it's a very helpful program because it gives you choices for just about everything, such as carb or FI and forced induction head style what kind of idle you want and slot of other stuff. I thought it was quite helpful. The best part is that it's free

1: 1970 Chevelle SS-clone "ALMYDOE" Holley 4bbl, GMPP intake, Summit Racing Gear Drive, American Racing Rims, Flowmster Exhaust , DuPont Blue,
Stock 12 Bolt w/ 2.73
2: 2000 Chevy S10, 2.2/Auto, 16x8 rims, Spectre CAI. Low and slow but cheap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: How to read a cam grind number...
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.