electronic trans 4l60/4l80e behind a carb motor? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Nov 12th, 08, 5:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

Send a message via AIM to BowtieAaron
Default electronic trans 4l60/4l80e behind a carb motor?

is it possible to run a 4l60e or 4l80e trans behind a carb non computer controlled motor?
i want to put an OD trans in the chevelle i would love to put a tremec tko in, but then i would have to spend 2000 on a 12 bolt. i would like to keep what i have.
i am also wanting to make it my dd again, and with the 355's it doesnt work out to great, as 80% of my driving is highway.

i can get a 4l60e for dirt cheap, and a 4l80e if i look in the yards. are they possible to run without a computer control motor?

thanks

aaron
368rwhp 383rwtq n/a with carb
12.23 @ 110 1.68 60ft
Dyno video NA
http://youtu.be/PvZ7tDVyryw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 12th, 08, 7:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

Default Re: electronic trans 4l60/4l80e behind a carb motor?

I believe there is a stand alone computer available to run the transmission.

I never make mistakes, but on occasion I present myself with an opportunity to get very creative.
Old Nov 12th, 08, 7:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Moderator

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Electronics/default.asp
http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...content-4.html
Old Nov 12th, 08, 10:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

thanks guys.
main reason i want to run an electronic trans s so i can use a lock up converter, or am i able to run a lock up converter in a non electric trans like an old 700r4

aaron
12.23 @ 110 1.68 60ft
Dyno video NA
Old Nov 13th, 08, 12:31 AM
Gold Founding Member

You'd be MUCH better off to use a non-computer-controlled transmission.

You can lock the converter with a manual switch (not recommended) or with a few junkyard parts; some primary wire, and perhaps a brake switch for a car with cruise control. With luck, you'll get all the parts from one donor vehicle.

I bought a TCI kit for locking the converter. It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure it was this one:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

It was simple and it worked...mostly. The vacuum switch was adjustable, just as claimed. Problem is, it had no hysteresis. The converter was always locking and unlocking at cruise, and it made me crazy. At cruise, the engine builds some RPM and some vacuum--the vacuum switch closes; the converter locks. The RPM drops, and the vacuum drops, too--and the converter unlocks. But that allows a bit more RPM and vacuum, so the converter locks again...

Insane.

A proper vacuum switch would close at a higher vacuum level than it opens. TCI should have known better than to provide a crappy vacuum switch.

When I do this again--I have Cliff Ruggle's new book, and a core 700 R4 transmission selected--I'm using a GM vacuum switch. Route power through the brake switch, the vacuum switch, and then to the trans.
Old Nov 13th, 08, 2:42 AM
Tech Team
Robin

I have a 4L80e in my 70 chevelle. I love the OD and lock-up.
The engine is a 350 with edelbrock intake and carb. (still working on the 396)
I use a set from compushift to control the 4L80e.
It is easy to install and works great. I used there AccuLink Throttle Position Sensor behind the edelbrock carb. You can program almost everything with the display.
I bought it from www.bowtieoverdrives.com but there are more brands (like TCI) that make a stand alone set/kit to control a 4L80e.
Old Nov 13th, 08, 8:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

you can use a stand alone computer to program it-i actually have a GM one, brand new, same as the older tc1 unit, for 4l60e or 80e, gonna list it on ebay for $600
im going to use man shift on the 4l80e
Old Nov 13th, 08, 1:58 PM
Team Member
steve

70-SS-396 (Robin)

Does it fit in the tranny tunnel well? No mods? Where did you mount the tranny control module? What type of gas mileage did you notice as an increase with the OD tranny? Does it drop in/out of OD in crusing speed? Did you pick the correct rear gear? can you cruise at 70-75 mph all day long with the 454?
Old Nov 13th, 08, 4:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

i have a 4l60e in my trans am. it takes a licking and keeps on giving. works great.
i have no issues with kicking out of OD until i push it down more than 3/4 throttle. just a quick blurp it pulls out of lock up.
at 115 im at 3500 in lock up in the bird with 323 rear gears. at 3000 in the velle in 4th with 355s im going about 55.

this is the reason i was asking about the 4l60/80e since i own one, i like it.

aaron
12.23 @ 110 1.68 60ft
Dyno video NA
Old Nov 13th, 08, 5:37 PM
Tech Team
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestwagon View Post
70-SS-396 (Robin)

Does it fit in the tranny tunnel well? No mods? Where did you mount the tranny control module? What type of gas mileage did you notice as an increase with the OD tranny? Does it drop in/out of OD in crusing speed? Did you pick the correct rear gear? can you cruise at 70-75 mph all day long with the 454?
gas mileage? it's a 70 chevelle with full interior
350 (cam unknown, very small) edelbrock performer intake and 600cfm carb. Th350, 3.73 and eaton posi. 235/60-15 tires
Mixed town and highway driving with (octane 95) normal fuel around here. I got 15MPG. The car does have the same 350 (I’m still busy getting the 396 together) but with a 4L80e and 3.55 with eaton posi. 235/60-15 tires again with mixed town and highway driving on octane 95. I get almost 19MPG.
Because of the fuel prices ($6.50 a gallon now, but $9.00 a gallon a month ago) I love my O/D trans.

It turned 3000rpm at 60mph first, but now 2500 with 72mph. I like that. (speed limit is 75mph on the high way in this country) when I drive it 3 hours I am across the whole country , so all day? I don't no, sorry.
Top speed is 119mph. (That is why I love the German high way, they don't have a speed limit on it) and still with the old 350 engine with stock exhaust. (this engine turns only 4500rpm max, it does not mather in wich gear)

Some people say you don't need to mod the tunnel, but I needed to make two small dents. one at the underside of the fire-wall, in the middle just where the tunnel starts and one at the end of the tranny. I used the th350 crossmember, turned it around and re-welded the tranny-mount into the middle of the tube. I only needed to drill two new holes for the crossmember. And ofcourse the drive shaft is a bit shorter now (about 1.5 inch)

The module is under the passengers seat and I made a bracket to hold the controller. The bracket fits into the two holes in the metal part inside the ashtray, the controller now fits perfect into the hole of the ashtray when it is open. When I park the car I can take the controller out and everything looks stock.

It goes into 4th gear even at 30mph, but that is because of my Compushift settings. You can program it to lock-up at any speed in 4th gear or 3rd and 4th or not at all. the lock-up goes of at a % of increase or decrease in speed or throttle. You can also shift manual with switches. Do a search on google.com for compushift, I no there is a lot of info about it but I can't find the links in my computer.

The only problem I have is the 1st to 2nd gear shift. When I have more then 1/2 throttle the rear tires squeak for a second when it upshifts. I still can't find out what the problem is.

Hope I helped a bit. Sorry for the long answer.

Last edited by 70-SS-396; Nov 13th, 08 at 5:40 PM. Reason: type error
Old Nov 13th, 08, 8:33 PM
Team Member
steve

wow, a 20% increase in mileage and comfortable cruising rpms...NICE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: electronic trans 4l60/4l80e behind a carb motor?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.