stainless steel big block '66 headers - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Jun 1st, 08, 9:09 PM
Tech Team
Larry

Default stainless steel big block '66 headers

I'm looking for a pair of stainless steel headers for a '66 chevelle. Hooker makes what I'm looking for, well almost. They list what I want but they say for automatic only. I will have a Richmond 5 OD.
Does anyone here know how close these will come to NOT fitting? Damn, so close.

Current project:
"66 SS 396 Chevelle

Check out MY barnfind gasser:
www.mrchevynut.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 1st, 08, 11:34 PM
Tech Team
Larry

Default Re: stainless steel big block '66 headers

Has anyone on here used Stans header? http://www.stans-headers.com/gm_headers.htm Looks like he makes all kinds and stainless too. I will be asking him about the tri-y's. That may be a way around having to notch the oil pan to change oil filters. He claims tri-y's are a torque type header anyway! I'll talk to him tomorrow. Let ya know what I hear.

Current project:
"66 SS 396 Chevelle

www.mrchevynut.com
Old Jun 2nd, 08, 1:05 AM
Tech Team

I have a '66 Elco, 454, clutch (previously a Super T-10 and now a TKO-600) and I am running the Hooker SS headers. There are no fitment issues with the clutch linkage, which is the mechanical GM-style linkage... Z-bar style.

Also, my clutch linkage is larger diameter tubing with heim joints, and even so there are no issues of interference with the SS Hookers.

Also, part 2.... I run a McLeod SFI'd scattershield including the block plate, and there are no interference issues with this either (it is larger than a stock bellhousing).

BTW, I first ran the mild steel versions, and when I switched to SS the exhaust bolted up with no misalignment at all. Very nice work, Hooker.

Now for the caveat: If you are running the GMPPD or Edselbrock heads, watch out for the flange on the headers because the lower head bolts interfere and the flange must be clearanced in order to fit flat against the exhaust ports. Word to the wise.

Other than that, if your only worries are clutch linkage interference, then I can say that for me it was green for go... no problem at all.

Eric
Blueprinted street/strip 572, sequential injection, TKO-600, Dana 60, cryo'd 1350s, Global West w/ coil-overs, 12" 4WDB, intense mods to the Elco frame, no music, hardcore 'Nam-era 1971 style Two Lane Blacktop car. Lions/OCIR veteran.
Old Jun 2nd, 08, 11:05 PM
Tech Team
Larry

Thanks, there may be hope yet.

Current project:
"66 SS 396 Chevelle

www.mrchevynut.com
Old Jun 3rd, 08, 11:10 PM
Gold Founding Member

Call Chuck Hansen (ACES 1). I read a short article in the latest Chevelle World and he is reproducing Mickey Thompson BB headers in stainless. It didn't mention which chassis they will fit. ACES hotline # is : 615-643-223 from 7-11PM CDT.
NEW HOME
ACES #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #0038
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: stainless steel big block '66 headers
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.