turbo 350 interchange - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

Old Apr 4th, 08, 8:41 PM
Rod

Default turbo 350 interchange

Hey, Just wondering what the difference is between a th350 from a 72 chevelle and one from a 81 camaro? I know the camaro one has an electrical plug on the driver side, don't know what for.
Does anyone know if the camaro one will work in the chevelle?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 4th, 08, 8:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Default Re: turbo 350 interchange

it'll bolt in and work, but the 81 model has has a lockup torque converter- which is what the electrical plug is for. i think it is also a weaker trans, and if you get that tv cable out of adjustment, the trans will have a short life.

-Hank Hill
Old Apr 4th, 08, 11:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

TV cable on a TH350 is just a kick down cable. Line pressure is set by the vacuum modulator, not the TV cable. Plug is for a lock up converter and you can run without it. There is a metric TH350, I believe it is called a TH350C (bot not 100% sure on this).

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
69 AMX
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
Old Apr 5th, 08, 1:47 AM
Tech Team
Frank

The C in TH350C indicates a lockup converter.
TH350, 10 bolt 1 legger

There is No Such Thing as an "ex-Marine."
Old Apr 5th, 08, 2:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke67 View Post
TV cable on a TH350 is just a kick down cable. Line pressure is set by the vacuum modulator, not the TV cable. Plug is for a lock up converter and you can run without it. There is a metric TH350, I believe it is called a TH350C (bot not 100% sure on this).
the question at hand is about the TH350C- which does have a tv cable and not a traditional kickdown cable.
i once had a real odd duck- it was a long shaft TH350 out of a mid 80's 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive pickup that had a TV cable and no plug in it for a lockup converter. i don't know what that thing was actually called, or if it was even any good, but it was weird.

-Hank Hill
Old Apr 5th, 08, 7:50 AM
Team Member
Paul

The turbo 350 was available with a six inch (common) nine inch and twelve inch tail housing lengths. In the late seventies and eighties there were also turbo 250C that basically was a turbo 350 with a front band (you will see the band adjustment bolt on the top near the front) that was good for stock use and a turbo 200 that has a one piece case (no separate tail housing) that have a real bad reputation due to the line pressure being regulated by the TV cable and were prone to slipping and burning up.
Paul
Old Apr 5th, 08, 1:47 PM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
the question at hand is about the TH350C- which does have a tv cable and not a traditional kickdown cable.
I learn something every day. Far as I knew, the 350C had the kickdown cable. Gee, I wonder what valve-body passages were changed to accommodate the TV pressure regulation.
Old Apr 7th, 08, 8:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I'm with Schurkey on this one. My Hanes book calls the TH350 cable a detent or downshift cable and that the vac modulator line pressure and shift points. It calls the TH700-R4 and TH200-4R a TV cable that combines the function of the vac modulator and downshift cable. It doesn't specifically mention the 350C one way or another though.

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
69 AMX
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
Old Apr 8th, 08, 5:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

head to the closest junkyard and start looking at cars and trucks from the early 80's, and you will find TH350's that have TV cables instead of kickdowns. maybe you'll even find one like the one i mentioned a few posts back with a TV cable and no electrical plug in the side. i think that was still a TH350C- but one of the really early one's that used hydraulic pressure to lockup the converter. the one i had was in an 85 GMC pickup, but who knows if it was original to the truck or not.

-Hank Hill
Old Apr 8th, 08, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prefectca View Post
.....a turbo 200 that has a one piece case (no separate tail housing) that have a real bad reputation due to the line pressure being regulated by the TV cable and were prone to slipping and burning up.
Paul
Ah yes, the turbo 200 slip-o-matic!

If you have a Th350C, I would give it to the junk yard and try to find a non-lockup model. That's just me, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Chevelle Tech      Current Topic: turbo 350 interchange
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.