12-bolt rearend width questions - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

Old Sep 14th, 01, 7:07 AM
Tech Team

Got a quick question for you guys about the width of a 12-bolt rearend. I just bought a 12-bolt posi rearend from a guy. He said that the rearend came out of a '70 chevelle. The rearend was just built, so it is in perfect condition. I took the rearend out of my Chevelle last night, and I noticed a few things.(I have a '71 Chevelle) The new rearend is exactly 1" shorter than mine, and the emergency brake cables are about 2" shorter. Judging by the axle codes, the new rearend is actually from a '66 Chevelle (I think) Will this bolt up to my Chevelle with no problems? Will I have to switch the emergency brake cables?

Just what does the DUDE have here?

------------------
Mark "THE DUDE" Skoch
1971 Malibu
"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
THE DUDEMOBILE
(DUDE POWERED!)

[This message has been edited by THE DUDE (edited 09-14-2001).]
Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 14th, 01, 7:28 AM
Tech Team

66 & 67 12-bolts are inch narrower than 68-72 (which are all the same). This rear end should bolt in directly, and actually give you a bit more room to run wider tires. Unfortunately, I don't know about the interchange of lines and cables.
Old Sep 14th, 01, 10:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Actually it's 65-67 that are narrower and only the 67 will work as a direct bolt in due to the differences in spring design. 65 & 66 have flat spring perches which are not compatible with the later springs. Second, rear axle width has absolutely no bearing on the size tire you can fit inside the wheel well. Rim width, backspacing and wheel well size are the determining factors. So, if the spring perches are the same as your '71 the axle will work with no modification but the emergency brake cables are "application specific" and will have to be changed if they are in fact 2" shorter.
Old Sep 14th, 01, 10:33 AM
Tech Team

Thanks for the replies guys!

The rear-end code is CF which I guess could also be a 67 rear-end if I am looking at the book right. The spring perches on the new rearend look just like the ones that are on my '71 rear-end. I guess all I will need to do is change out the emergency brake cables and it should bolt right in.

Right????

P.S. Will it set my wheels in 1/2" on either side as long as I am using the same wheels as before?

------------------
Mark "THE DUDE" Skoch
1971 Malibu
"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
THE DUDEMOBILE
(DUDE POWERED!)
Old Sep 14th, 01, 11:25 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David_Bates:
Second, rear axle width has absolutely no bearing on the size tire you can fit inside the wheel well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beg to differ. While other factors do come into play, a narrower rear end will give you more room from drum to fender lip requiring less backspace required on the rim itself. Could be that's why folks who run ProStreet have tubbed wheel wells and narrowed rear ends...the ability to run wide tires/wheels with a lot of negative offset.

9-15-01

Let me edit my response and do a bit of retraction. The size tire that will fit inside the stock wheel well should be constant. The axle width would determine the correct backspacing required - hence I agree. It was late when I chimed in and didn't fully read the response as carefully as I should have.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92
ACES #1709
http://www.dalesplace.com

[This message has been edited by Dale McIntosh (edited 09-15-2001).]
Old Sep 14th, 01, 2:32 PM
Tech Team

I hate to get all puckered up on this, but David, it's not always what you say as much as how you say it.

I appreciate accurate information as much as anyone, and am fully open to constructive criticism, but try leaving the ATTITUDE out.

Just a suggestion.

------------------
1971 Chevelle w/ 402 Big Block and TH350
SS "RepliCar"
Old Sep 14th, 01, 5:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hoarder Deluxe

Also, the 65/6 rears with the flat spring mount will work fine with the later springs, you just use the stock 66 mounting hardware instead of the "hat" to locate the spring.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!
Old Sep 15th, 01, 6:17 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by THE DUDE:
Thanks for the replies guys!

The rear-end code is CF which I guess could also be a 67 rear-end if I am looking at the book right. The spring perches on the new rearend look just like the ones that are on my '71 rear-end. I guess all I will need to do is change out the emergency brake cables and it should bolt right in.

Right????

P.S. Will it set my wheels in 1/2" on either side as long as I am using the same wheels as before?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would certainly think so. I had just the opposite (a 69 rear end in my 67) for about 10 years. When I finally found a 67 rear, the swap was direct. No cables to change or lines to modify. Using the same wheels/tires on both did bring the tires back in from the outer lip with the narrower rear end.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92
ACES #1709
http://www.dalesplace.com
Old Sep 15th, 01, 7:00 AM
Tech Team
Doug

Hey DUDE!
Can you hear me over all this commotion?
To answer your question, yes, it will pull you existing rim/tire combo inward 1/2 inch. I have almost the same setup on my project. It will allow me to run a wide rim with less back space (and the rim will look deeper on the street side).

------------------
Doug, Chevl71
Team Chevelle member #625
Gateway Area Chevelle Club member CM028
(OO ss OO)
chevl71 homepage
Old Sep 15th, 01, 8:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

esq1995,

I was only stating fact with no "attitude" intended. I've seen too much of that recently and was trying to be as neutral as possible. Iguess I'll have to try a little harder.
Old Mar 28th, 07, 6:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Larry Joe

Default Re: 12-bolt rearend width questions

I have a 66 chevelle with a 12 bolt that I was under the impression was the correct short rear as it was the right length Yet it says its a 68 early production. I never questioned it. What is the correct measurements from a 66 12 bolt inside backing plate one to another?

Last edited by blubu; Mar 29th, 07 at 2:15 AM. Reason: rear end length
Old Mar 18th, 11, 5:33 PM
rick

it 52" if that answers any questions
Old Mar 18th, 11, 5:35 PM
rick

anything from 68 on is 54 and a quarter
Old Mar 18th, 11, 7:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Papa

I measure 1964-67 = 54 1/4" & 1968-72 = 55 1/4" backing plate surface to surface.....................
Old Sep 3rd, 11, 7:25 PM
Tech Team
John

I just meassured my 65 yesterday and came up with 53 1/4 backing plate to backing plate. I had my son helping me, so maybe he didn't do what I asked, but if anything I expect my meassurement to be long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Team Chevelle > Archives > 2001      Current Topic: 12-bolt rearend width questions
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.