Team Chevelle banner

Electrical fan or not?

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Sandy 
#1 ·
Well, as I said in an earlier post I finally got my BBC 489 this Sunday. My next dilemma is what type of fan to use. Electric or mechanical. I have about 3.5 inches between the very end of my water pump pulley and the radiator, so I am space limited. I really want to run a puller type fan and have found an electric and mechanical fan that will fit. Can anyone explain the benefits of both and which I would be better off with. I'm running an AFCO aluminum radiator and I do live in Florida, so it gets pretty hot down here at times. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

#5 ·
I'd use a good ole clutch fan, fluid not thermal, releases above certain rpms, not temp. I'm using one with my AFCO alum. radiator and no shroud, it doesnt get hot and I don't have to worry about running the battery down. I don't see any real advantage of running an electric fan unless you're using an electric water pump too, otherwise leaving the fan on just cools the radiator, not the water in the block. Or you could get a Moroso water pump drive, runs fan and waterpump, as long as you don't forget it and let it run the battery down.

#6 ·
Thanks guys. This is going into a 68 camaro. This is the best info site I know, thats why I always post here! Bob, how would an electric fan just cool the radiator with the engine off? If it was a puller, I think it would still blow air on the motor right? I think I'm going to have to go with whatever fits the best. How much airflow (I saw a 16" flex-lite electric fan that claims around 2300 cfm) do you think would be adequate for my build? 489 10.5-1 comp, about 600 hp/ 600 ft lbs? How wide from front to back are the clutch fans? Again I only have 3.5 inches. I guess I could always go with a pusher fan, but I've read that pullers are better. I was interested in the electrics mainly because they say that they blow more air at idle because a belt driven fan will slow down as the car idles because it is belt driven, therefore rpm dependent. Please keep all opinions coming. Thanks!

#8 ·
I still don't quite understand this. If the fan is behind the radiator and blowing air towards the engine (puller type), how is this mainly cooling the radiator that has no air being blown on it? Is it because the fan is sucking air through the radiator that gets blown on the engine? I would like to use a regular fan if I can fit one, I'm not crazy about MORE electrical connections, plus these fans are more affordable. How important is it to use a shroud. I don't know if i have enough room for one. Also it is an aftermarket AFCO radiator.

#10 ·
I think the shroud comes into play at low speed or idle as there is little or no air coming through the radiator on it's own. The shroud allows the fan to suck all available air throught the radiator core to keep the coolant temperature within bounds. You could probably get away without a shroud out on the highway at 60 mph, but as soon as you slowed down to 25 mph or stopped in traffic I would bet that the temperature gauge would slowly start to climb. So to answer your question if at all possible I would run a shroud of some kind. Just my two cents.

"69" Chevelle Malibu coupe 350, 4 speed ,3:55 posi-trac, and some performance enhancements. Dad's mid-life toy !

#12 ·
A big 18 -19" clutch or flex fan will work, however, a dual 11" or 12" or even 13.5" fan will really cool that big motor. You have to set up and run a good alternator with electric fans. My big block runs 170 degress at idle when it is 100 in the shade. I am running a Be Cool radiator, dual 11" electric fans and a Stewart Components water pump. I love it and nothing else ever cooled my Chevelle as good and I have tried many configurations. I am also running a 160 amp 1-wire alternator.

Good Luck! :D

#13 ·
Motorhead,
Yeah I was looking at the dual elec fans. I have a Power Master 140 amp one wire alternator, so I think that would be ok. What brand of dual electric fans are you using and do you have them on all the time or hooked to a temp sensor?

#18 ·
its the dual fan setup that they sell... i think they are 11inch but will check when i get home...they move an incredible amount of air... much more that any mechanical fan ive seen at idle...they come with a sensor that turns them on and off at pre set temps and you can get diff sensors for your pref...very nice setup...just my 2 cents..Sean

#22 ·
On the 66 an 67s(and 64-65) there is not much room especially it you have the long water pump.

Heck with the short pump an aluminum pulley and a Griffen radiator I can only run a flex fan and stock shroud.

I have recently gotten one from Don at Alumitech with dual 11 inch fans and it looks like a good cooling system.

#23 ·
i have a set of 12 inch duels from be cool each one does 2400 cfm . you can stand at the rear of the car and feel air flow comin at you they pull so much . the fan kit is in the low 500 dollar range and it works.. im coolin a 540 with a 3800 sthal and 4.10 gears currently 10.5.1 compression soon to be 11.45.1 and it dont get much over 195 degrees if that im betting it will cool the new motor to.. also remember to run a relay kit so as to keep current in check.

#25 ·
For sure the electric fan and electric water pump setups are nice, and almost everyone seems to be going that route but

the conventional belt driven fan and water pump can be made to work quite well also.

both have advantages and disadvantages.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.