Team Chevelle banner

70 chevelle ss

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  amx364 
#1 ·
hi I just recently inherited a 70 chevelle ss from my brother who just passed away at the age of 44 suddenly anyway trying to find out some info on the car tach not working pin 9 of cluster has brown wire but for some reason I traced it to the fuse box and goes to a fuse connection it also has power on it when key is on also possibly didn't come with the tach package
? don't know if the tach and other gauges for 70 have the green lettering like the speedo does any help would be nice oh and anyone know where the build sheet might be so I can look for it thanks jeff

#2 ·
I can't help with the wiring, but I've seen build sheets glued to the inside of either door panel as well as in the springs under the front seat. My '70 Atlanta built Chevelle had one sheet on the door panel and a second under the right front corner (bench seat). I've also heard someone say they found one under the package tray, but've never seen that first hand.

#5 ·
possibly didn't come with gauges seems from what I read that its an ss car has the boxed in control arms on rear and ss emblems and door panels have ss all the cluster wires colors match the ss but no tach wire so I guess im back to square 1 because the fuse box didn't have a terminal in the 3rd top hole which should be the tach wire from what ive found on the net the only wires that are missing out of cluster connector are the amp guage wires black with white and the black one but like I said the brown one goes to the fuse box on the back to a fuse lug

#10 ·
Ya I've come to that conclusion so I've done some rewiring with an old harness took the pins out and made some wiring up and got the tach working then I ordered the correct tach from ground up that has the green lettering got it Friday put it in and it doesn't work start up the car and I goes to 7000 rpm and sits there so I took it back out and they are closed now so im gonna have to send it back I even tried hook it up under the hood power ground coil and 7000 rpms funny the old one worked just wrong for the car sucking

#20 ·
I think he meant hood air flapper. Fresh air system air cleaner. Not AC.
Back to first problem, I do not believe that you have the wiring correct. Is it possible that some of the harness has been replaced incorrectly? When you get a step-child there can be some missing history.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.