Team Chevelle banner

Fiberglass dash.

8K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  audioman1966 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to make their own custom dash out of fiberglass? I have looked everywhere to try and find an aftermarket one, but no luck. I want the 70-72 SS style, but just a plain blank, no holes or openings anywhere, no ac vents, no glove box, nothing so I can put the gauges and switches, controls where I want to put them for a total custom dash in my 70 SS. Thanks for any help.

#7 ·
I don't know if this counts, but I fabed up a fiberglass insert where my round guages used to be. Sort of like a Covans, but with real wood and more gauge room. It was pretty straight forward, but I certainly didn't do the whole dash.
That sounds like a BIG job.

#9 ·
Kevin,
The shifter wasn't too hard to mount. I'm thinking of changing it out for the standard height - this one is 2" shorter - designed for Camaro/Firebird consoles.
I had to build up the base to get it high enough and it's still a bit too low. Shifting is harder because of less leverage. Just had to rework the cover plate a bit.
The wood on the dash will be changing to curly koa to match trim pieces on the door panels. (I'm a sucker for exotic woods - built a couple guitars and had some leftovers)
-Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.