Team Chevelle banner

Brake Bleeding Issues: Passenger Side Rear Brake will not bleed

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  LilRed 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a 71 Chevelle with factory front disc/rear drums.

I was bleeding my brakes after noticing they were feeling very mushy and would go to the floor from time to time.

I started in the right rear and no fluid came out when I loosened the bleeder valve.

Then I moved to the left rear and that one would bleed, so I did the rest, minus the right rear.

I hopped in the car and the pedal goes almost to the floor before engaging the brakes. I checked the master cylinder and there was a gunky build up in it. I'm assuming the rear line is clogged, but I'm not 100% sure. What can one do to unclog a brake line?

Also, before this procedure, it seemed like the rear passenger wheel would stick when braking for speed bumps. Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
Try bleeding it at the line before the wheel cylinder and if that wont work, try it at the distribution block at the rear axle. This will get some air out and build enough pressure to push the gunk through.

#6 ·
Yep, check to make sure the bleeder isn't blocked with rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.