Team Chevelle banner

Re clearing car

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  TechNova 
#1 ·
Can you scuff a car just enough and reshoot clearcoat?

All that would be involved is like 800 grit or 1000 grit to scuff and then reclear.

Is this ok to do or a no no?

#2 ·
OK ten views and nothing.

Let me first say I know this sounds like wet sanding.

The clear is about ten years old and I need to repair a few spots.

Can I simply fixed the area with base and clear and then after a certain amount of time wet sand the entire car?

#3 ·
Patience.
10 views but at this time of the morning all the real body techs are at work and not on this site.

If the existing clear is in good shape foundation-wise, you can sand with 800-1000 and reclear the area. Remember that clear will not fix any problems underneath it so the old clear must be in good shape.

Your last sentence of your second post confuses me.
Are you planning to fix, base and clear a few small areas followed by wetsanding?

#4 ·
Ok. I got you.

I have some areas that are going to need epoxy, filler, primer, base, and clear.

Most concern is my lack of experience blending this in....hence the idea to sand reclear the entire car.

#6 ·
In other words, yeah, go ahead and sand the whole car, blend in your repairs, and clear the whole thing. Then you can sand and buff it. :yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.