• 15 by 8 with white letter tires

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • 17 by 7 front and 17 by 9 rear

Votes: 24 44.4%

Help me decide on new wheels

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Scotch 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum. I have a 68 Chevelle original 307 powerglide car. It has the 14 inch rally wheels with 215 70 14s on it.

I am going to change to Torque Trust II wheels polished.

I cant decide on going old school with some 15 by 8s running white letter bf goodrich 235 60 15s front and back or going new school 17 by 7 on front with 215 50 17 and 17 by 9 rear with 275 40 17.

What you guys think???

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Old school 15s , they just look right !

#10 ·
That is the stance I am looking for . I also like the how the rear wheel does not get close to the lip. Do you happen to know the specs on those wheels looks like 17s are 8s and 18s are 9s and the tire sizes and off sets :)

#14 ·
I like running 15 inch as they give a great ride.
Radial T/A's would look great.
Buying and running super low profile on a street car usually costs some cash once you pick up a nail...and I always do.
I've also learned that buying decent snow tires gets me a nice compound,extra traction,and quite a bit extra tread depth.
Everyone thinks I'm nuts.
The car handles slightly slower,slightly more road noise,but I really dig the traction.
Obviously in better climates...snow tires would be dumb...but here in Ohio,9 months of the year it's usually wet.:D:D

#15 ·
Nitto makes 45 and 50 series tires for 17s and 18s too. No loss of ride quality and a great increase in performance while gaining clearance for much better brakes.

No one on T/As could ever keep up with them at the drags, road course, street, whatever. They are simply superior.

Look at pics of my wagon in the link below. They have enough sidewall to not be 'ultra low profile'. It rides nice and runs low 12s at will without the nitrous, and has been clocked at 130mph in competition. I could never do any of those things with slippery 15-inch T/As on it. My 13-inch brakes would never fit inside 15s either.

If you want it to perform on-par with modern cars, get some modern tires. If you don't mind being outperformed by imports and new Mustangs, by all means, get some T/As.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.