Team Chevelle banner

Might as well call it a build thread.....

37K views 122 replies 15 participants last post by  bowtieboy67 
#1 ·
Well already got a few pic's of my 67 on another thread. But I am going to start a build thread. I checked the vin and it was a 6 cyl custom model originally.

Heres the day I got it:

The newly gutted interior:

See less See more
#81 ·
Update:

Rear end is holding together just fine.

Just swapped the fan belt over to a 80's serpentine style that still uses the V belt as a power steering belt. Finally Im able to rev it over 6000 RPM and keep the belts on it. Also since I put my fan shroud on, ive been having a hard time finding a fan that would clear. I got a 3 blade off the same truck I got the pulleys from, had to trim the blades down about a half inch. It just clears the shroud, and I dont have to worry about a flex fan exploding. The clutch seems weak, but the motor seems to cool just fine. Worst case ontario Ill swap it out for one of the many like new ones ive got sitting in my parts pile.

Also had one headlight adjust break, so I changed it. While having the grill out I noticed my core support is pushed back on the drivers side. Not sure if its straightenable or time for a new one at this point. So I opted to leave my mint grill out and put the cracked one back in, but I put all 4 headlight bezels one and the Pontiac Spear. Looks alot better!

Ive also had fuel problems with it, I believe the pump cannot keep up. I installed a Stewart Warner electric fuel pressure gauge(about 2/3s less $$ than an autometer) to see what was going on. It cruises out at around 4 psi, than when you lay on it will slowly drop off to nothing till it stalls out.

Got a good line on a Holley HP 125 thats internally regulated, probably will pick one up next week.

#82 ·
New fuelly pump on, got some Unions to replace the rubber splices I did last year as well. Mounted the pump just in front of the rear lower control arm. It just fits, and hangs down about 1.5" approx. I built a shield to block any debris that could possibly hit it.

Went for a test run, fuel pressure sits about 4-5 pounds pressure and will hardly move when you lay on it.

Also the motor sounds way different without that stupid flexy fan it had and the car seems much quieter overall.

#83 ·
No real update, put the car away a month ago. Got new boots on the back, some 255/60/15 radial ta's. Its much nicer on the highway now, and at 3000 RPM its doin just a tad over 60 mph.

Found a photo editor on my comp so I did a couple pics up tonight. I put the spear back on/all 4 bezels earlier this summer. And of course the confederate flag:

Just a random shot from early spring:

On another note, Im highly debating on getting a Tremec 5 speed for the car. Ive pondered the idea of buying a new car with a manual, or for a big fraction of the cost put a manual in the Beaumont. Its a toss up between that or paint and body.....guess Ive got the winter to decide my plans.

#84 ·
I got a RS 500 Keisler on my 69 it was not bad to install if you know how to dial in the bellhousing try to get the gen 2 since it has the case that bolts up to the motor well There is a good shop in Warman guys names are Todd and Dallas 955-8288 called Kroozn Metal Inc - Hamilton Ave, Warman, SK. If you want paint
Heard they were very good

#86 ·
I am in the same boat and find myself seeking over drive. Debating on a gear vendors, or a 5 speed of sorts. Could always go the cheap route and up the rear tire size. Got all winter to think about it.

#88 ·
Did some ebaying this weekend, decided on a 3858403 Bellhousing(153 tooth flywheel). Got one for $120 shipped, over half the price of a 621(11" bellhousing). Looks like its all down hill from here, cant wait for the snow to go so I can get on this thing again.

Also, picked up my disc brake kit today(MBM) and some KYB shocks for all four corners. Still have to locate control arm bushings, but Ill wait till i get it apart when the time comes.

#92 ·
So far ebay'd, pedal kit, GM fork/pivot ball, Speedo Cable adapter for tremec.

Ordered a Hay's billet flywheel/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch.

Dont know if I mentioned it earlier, but I have a 403 bellhousing as well.

Hoping to have it pulled out of storage and into the shop early april, than its game on :cool:

#93 ·
Bam:

Got it pretty well finished except for a couple minor things.

Put a set of Poly bushings in the control arms, KYB shocks, Brake kit was from MBM. It was sure nice that the PO had put some MOOG ball joints in it as well :woot:

Had to re do the hard lines(it needed new ones anyway)/removed the original distribution block down on the frame. The only thing I dont like is how the one front brake line comes out of the proportioning valve.

#94 ·
still havent figured the brakes out, but a very expensive piece showed up yesterday. So i started on that :whistle: :doah: :pimp:

The more and more I look at this thing, Ive concluded its had a 4 speed in it at one time. It also has the tab mounted on the frame for the Z bar as well.

Got the tunnel cut, cross member mounted. Im able to use existing holes, in the frame rail. Just had to slide the cross member back 1.5" or so.

Got the tunnel patch cut and tacked in. Im going to make it in 2 pieces. The second peice will be held on with screw's so I can bolt the shifter on once the trans is in the car.

#95 ·
Update:

Got the trans hump done, flywheel, clutch, trans, mount/xmember in. Everything went easy till it was time for pedals.

Everything I had read, said just pop the old pedals out and slide the new in. That was not the case at all. The brake pedal was held in by a 3/8's bolt and bushing inside the pedal. The po had rigged a clutch pedal in there some how, Im not sure how it was done but it was done as there was evidence of the upper clutch rod rubbing the mount.

So we removed the steering column and went from there. I had to enlarge the holes for the new pedal set to slide through the mount. While I was at it, I welded some washers on both sides of the mount to help strengthin it up a bit. Also made a spacer out of some umhw to space the clutch pedal off the mount. Installed it for mock up, the upper clutch rod was totally wrong(chinese re pop). The bend was the wrong way, and it was 2 inches to short.(I believe it was the Z bar having the top mount welded in the wrong spot). The little rubber bumper for the clutch pedal was in the way of the pedal travel. So I cut that off, and also had to make clearance for the rod to be installed in the clutch pedal. We re bent the push rod in a couple places so it cleared the firewall nice, and I welded in an extenstion on the rod. Its not factory, but it should work just fine. I marked/welded the tab on for the rubber bumper.

From than on everything went together like it should, and I now have a 3 pedal car!!!
anywho, onto the pic's:

#96 ·
nice work, where did you order your tremec? Did you get a kit or just a transmission. I am looking into it as well but not liking the cost at all, nor cutting the tunnel. I think the 68 bodies require more material removed than 66/67 bodies.

#97 ·
I got it through tiger auto in Saskatoon, it came through Mopac I believe. I pieced the kit together, prob worked out the same as buying a kit from summit etc.

Ive done lots of floor patching and stuff, so tunnel cutting wasnt the issue. It was where to cut. Ill try and find a link to a thread I started.

As far as cost, its only money right? Whats a 700R4 to build? Pretty well will cost the same as a tremec. For just a little more $$$ one can have a better trans and that third pedal!!

#99 ·
Got some good progress this weekend.

Got the driveshaft shortened, shifter cover made, hooked up a neutral safety, exhaust, e brake etc etc.

Messed around with the brakes, ended up going with a 1 1/8 master cylinder of a 70's C10. Brakes seem to work mint, it has a nice firm pedal.

Put about 70 miles on it, loving the tremec. Its nice to be able to do 70 mph while only revving 2100 on the highway.

started out with an 8x12" piece of steel:

I welded a couple tabs on the back, and anchored it down with 7 screws.

My shifter stick didnt come in yet, so I whipped up this fancy piece:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.