Team Chevelle banner

1978 corvette brake problem

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  grin07 
#1 ·
For a while I've had a problem with my brakes in my 1978 corvette. The red brake light comes on. I can pump the pedal a few times and it goes out but will come on again. The brake pedal is low. Fluid in resevouir is full. I found the drivers front caliper leaking replaced it, bled the sytem and same problem. The car is driven rarely if that makes any difference. TIA Pete

#2 ·
If this is the same style caliper as the 73 models have, you could have too much run out on a rotor. That will allow the caliper to draw in air and brakes will be gone or on the floor. There will be no leakage of fluid. The rear rotors need to be shimmed and dialed in . I had this problem with my 73 after installing stainless calipers.

Bled brakes and they were great, drive 30 miles and the car wouldn't hardly stop. Bled again, everything fine, 30 miles no brakes. Local Vette shop helped me solve this, so it must be a common occurence.,

#3 ·
For a while I've had a problem with my brakes in my 1978 corvette. The red brake light comes on. I can pump the pedal a few times and it goes out but will come on again. The brake pedal is low. Fluid in resevouir is full. I found the drivers front caliper leaking replaced it, bled the sytem and same problem. The car is driven rarely if that makes any difference. TIA Pete
OKTUNES is right, you have too much rotor runout on the wheel where you are finding the air in the caliper. The cheap fix involves a dial indicator and some shim stock between the axle flange and the rotor. Sometimes the rotor can be reindexed and not need the shim stock, so try it on all 5 different wheel studs first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.