Team Chevelle banner

350 build vs 454 swap

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Brian J 
#1 ·
Hi guys I joined last year when I got my 71 Chevelle but havent hung out at all since. Its spring and that means chevelle time.

I am getting 373 gears put in my ten bolt to replace the 256's in the next couple weeks . Though I think that will get the car going pretty good I feel like this might be a good year to throw some money at it. I am thinking of getting a 454ho built at a local engine building shop ($2600) but I am wondering if it would be easier and cheaper to do some things to the 350 thats in it. Its got headers, flowmasters, edelbrock intake and carb but maybe some edelbrock heads??

Any advice- Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You can get that out of the 350 that is in it....likely for less than $2600.

The BBC will have enough torque to make you puke though. Just don't overlook the other things that need to be done when going bigblock...exhaust, radiator, suspension, etc.

#4 ·
Highway Star - I do miss the big block torque. I used to own a gto with a 455ho in it!
Your exactly right I didnt think about the radiator and suspension.

You think aluminum heads would be the next logical step for the 350?

#5 ·
You need to figure out what you've got...exactly....before you put a plan together for making changes. The gear change alone is going to probably give the most seat of the pants difference you'll feel.

Aluminum heads are a great idea. Maybe some new heads & a cam/lifter kit, with matching valvetrain. You're asking in the right place, that's for sure.

If you're into Edelbrock stuff, those new E-Street heads of theirs are supposed to be pretty decent. There are other heads out there too though.

#12 ·
Hmmm... that kit is $1900, does not include a few things.

Then, throw in the cost of machine work to your existing block and you're starting to approach the cost of building the big-block pretty close... Of course, you still have exhaust, radiator, etc on the big block too but look at the bottom line, finished product...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.