Team Chevelle banner

Firing order for a 71 BB with HEI

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  theclencher 
#1 ·
Howdy all,
Rookie question here......Well I replaced the points distributor in my '71 402 with an HEI type. Oddly enough, I see that the V8 Chevy engines had a different firing order after 1974? So do I stick with the order for the 1971, or does the HEI require the 'newer' firing order which is slightly different. I haven't completely re-assembled the engine, so I have a day or two before she makes revolutions.
Thanks for your help. Tom

#3 ·
Hey Bill, thanks for the reply. I'll snap a photo of the battered Chevy Chilton's manual page which gives me the conflicting info. It's out in the garage and pouring out at the moment so it'll be tomorrow. Afterward you guys might get a good conversation going about how Chilton's has led many a man to doom.
10 pm here, time for the posturepedic 500 race.....

#4 ·
The FIRING ORDER is the SAME. 18436572, just as stated before.

I think where you're confused is that the #1 terminal on the HEI cap is moved over a bit from the #1 terminal of the points distributor.

Install the HEI distributor so that when it is seated on the manifold, the plastic connector where the three wires come out of the distributor base (which then lead up to the cap) is straight forward. The rotor points at #1 on the cap, which is just where the Chiltons shows it--2 terminals over from the power/tach connector. Align the pickup coil teeth with the reluctor teeth by slightly moving the distributor body, while the timing marks on the damper are set to whatever you want your initial timing to be. (so set the damper for 8 degrees advanced if you want your initial timing to be at 8 BTC) Tighten the distributor and fire the engine. You should be within 1 degree of your target when you've had some practice at this.

#5 ·
Re: Firing order for a 71 BB with HEI(BillK & Schurkey)

Yep, you are both right. The manual I was referencing has the firing order for both points style and HEI and the position of cylinder one is different. But, as you knew the order is the same. I'll plead blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. Whew, good thing my wife didn't find out I was WRONG again because I didn't read the instructions! She gets a kick out that.
Thanks for your replies.
Here's a link to the photograph I took of the manual....
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/highlandlake/firingorder.jpg

Tom

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.