Team Chevelle banner

Sbc cam advice

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  DARREN72 
#1 ·
Looking for a lil help on a cam hyd ft, This is for my daughters street car,
sbc 355, 9.6.1 comp. gm vortec heads, Just good vavle job an cleand up,
have a/m springs 500 lift, an 1.5 roller rockers, they flow 230@ 500int- 146@ 500ex air gap intake, 650 dp carb, 4sp car, 3.73 gear, Wont have to make alot of vacume as it has mech disc brks, Of course shes youg an wants it to sound good, But would like it to perform good 2500-6000 rpm, Cars 3500lbs. Thank you for any help.

#3 ·
Big cams kind of suck cruising around at low speeds with a stick. Without a torque converter, the driveline tends to buck at low speeds/low RPM, even in 1st gear.

I have a 64 C10 truck with a similar 350 combo to yours, a 3-speed Muncie, and a Comp XE268H. I didn't care for the jerkiness. I replaced the Comp recently with a Summit cam (think it's made by Melling) with near-stock specs. Much more street friendly.

JMHO

#12 · (Edited)
I like Howards cams also, I like the first cam Highway Star has listed. It doesn't have the fast ramps of an Extreme Energy or VooDoo type grind, but it doesn't have long slow ramps like the old Chevy factory grinds, with 54* difference in the advertised and .050" durations. But I would suggest to consider the Howards 110951-10 grind. It's the same grind but with a 110* LSA instead of 108*. Either of these grinds will give a nice rumble for cruise in night. This version is available in Howards new Max Certified line of cam/lifter sets, and is available with their Direct Lube lifters, which provide extra lube to the lifter/lobe faces. I believe with the oil situation today the Direct Lube lifters could be a valuable feature to help in preventing flat cam lobe/lifter failures. While I have no experience with these lifters I would like to try a set.
The part number for the Max Certified cam/lifter kit is MC110951-08 $179.95 at Summit Racing, the part number for the kit with the Direct Lube lifters is MC110951-08DL, $219.95 at Summit Racing.

Here's the text from the Howards catalog describing the Max Certified cam/lifter kits:

Confidence! That’s what you get when you install a New Max
Certified Cam and Lifter Set. 100% ground at Howards
Cams™ (not re-boxed like some companies) for a superior
product. Quality control goes far beyond, including batch test-
ing and verification on a Adcole 911NT. The Adcole is the pre-
mier measurement equipment for camshafts in the world. So
you know you’re getting the finest camshaft for your applica-
tion available. Each set includes a performance hydraulic
camshaft, a set of matching hydraulic flat tappet lifters and a
bottle of Max ZPM oil additive for break-in (Max ZPM must be
added to every oil change). So what happens if you still have
a cam damaging event?...You’re Covered! We will replace your
Max Certified Cam & Lifter Set at no charge for five years from
date of original purchase. Just completely fill out the supplied
warranty card and return along with your camshaft, lifters and
the original receipt. No worries that you may of overlooked
something that damaged your new Max Certified camshaft.
Didn’t noticed that retainer to seal clearance wasn’t
enough?...Covered! Valve spring coil bind...Covered! Have a
problem with your oiling system that damages the
cam?...Covered! While installing the cam, you drop it and it
breaks in two?...Covered! So what are you waiting for? Isn’t it
time to make a real performance change to your engine? With
Max Certified Cam & Lifter Sets you’re covered!

#6 ·
I am running the XE274 in a 327 with a 4 speed and it runs good, cruises good, and has enough bump for the cruise in.

I have run it with both 4.10 gear and 3.08 gear, cruises fine with both. just enough cam to let you know it, but not too radical.

#7 ·
This is for my daughters street car
For this, I would go with the Comp XE268. It's a perfect street performance cam, has excellent torque and should provide ample vacuum for the power brakes. It'll have a good but slightly lumpy idle that she wants and it will be very well behaved. A big cam is cool, especially when trying to impress her friends, but I feel it's always better to go with the smaller of two choices in cams for a street car.

#11 ·
X2 on the 268 Comp or a similar VooDoo. That's 218@.050". The Voodoo would probably sound better as it has more exhaust duration.

#13 ·
I run a similar set up and an XE262, nice lumpy sound and lots of power through the band. What part of North Idaho are you in? I was raised in Spokane and spent 70' and 80's playing in Cda and Priest lake/Sandpoint. the drinking age being 19 compared to Spokane a few miles away at 21, that was a pretty good pull for a young guy. Left for Portland in 85 for work and stayed. Still go back every summer for 2 weeks at Priest lake, plus my folks are still there in the Spokane Valley.

#14 ·
Hey YankeeRodder, We live in Hayden Lake, 5 miles from cda, Ya i grew up in cda, Use to do alot of street racing back in the early 80's, an we would go over to riverside in spokane an cruize, I had maroon 68 nova, We use to run it out at srp alot, We go up to priest in the winter snowmobiling great place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.