Team Chevelle banner

'70 SS454 Monte

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  crazydavey 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
Real Nice, Look for the Shock Absorber Protector plates and closely look at the brackets holding that level ride compressor and the level ride actuator above the rear end.
The air level ride system is specific to and standard equipment on the 70-71 Monte SS. If the system is completely intact along with matching #'s motor, specific coded trans, F-41 etc. I would believe it to be a real SS. Very few people are going to fake a Monte SS because there is not enough $$$ to be made. No gauges and bench seat were also standard on a Monte SS just like a Chevelle so that does not take away from it being an SS. Just like a 69 or newer Chevelle, it needs buildsheet/paperwork/POP, to validate it to be a true SS car. Mine was on top of the gas tank. If this guy does not have a build sheet, he needs to look on top of the gas tank if he has not already looked.

#3 ·
Real Nice, Look for the Shock Absorber Protector plates and closely look at the brackets holding that level ride compressor and the level ride actuator above the rear end.

'71's are harder to fake since they have the rubber strip in the rear bumper and additional trim on the rear valance surrounding a black stripe.

Here is a good link..

http://www.firstgenerationmontecarlo.com/tech/ss454.shtml

#6 ·
Just an FYI the early built 71 SS454's did not have the rubber strip or the painted mirror. those items were introduced in Dec of 70. I just bought an original paint 71 SS454 Black/Black top with a Sandlewood cloth bucket seat built in Aug of 70 , all documented . I have had 4 70 SS454's and sadly they just don't bring any real money compared to what it costs to restore one. They are Great driving cars and attract lots of attention at shows however its a narrow market.

Jim

#5 ·
yes I agree with what's been said...hard to tell much from those pictures but I would say from the general condition it would be at the top end of the price point for a SS equipped like that one. The air ride compressor is a good sign but you would need to validate that the rest of the system is there. They can and have been faked but getting all of the air ride system correct and installed would be an over the top task....a build sheet would seal the deal...;)

#7 ·
The car in question is overpriced IMO. Bench seat...column shift...no gauges...pretty basic car. Looks like a very nice car though. If I was selling I'd start at $13,500...

#12 ·
I like those. My buddy had a '70 with a bbc we played with for a bit in high school.

I'm going to assume numbers don't match, says engine was "replaced" in '96. Could mean anything I guess...

If it was a buckets/console/gauges car, I could see stepping up. $14,500 would be my top dollar on this one, pending solid body, no rust, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#13 ·
I think they are beautiful and under appreciated cars. I've had 5 of them, sort of like potato chips, once you've had a good one you can't stop. This is the last one I did for my wife....all original 70,000 mi triple black '72 454 "W" car with everything from bucket seats to cruise control. The "W" '72 is actually the rarest of all the 454 GEN I Monte's with only 1268 produced. I did the re-paint and went through the motor...on this pass at the last PINKS my wife turned a nice 11.66 @ 117 just putting it in drive and lettin' her go....:D

#16 ·
72's are plentiful..70 and 71 are rare.
Bought my first car (71)from a buddy entering the service.
Bad LT1 motored beast.
Still brings tears to my eyes...met a terrible death.
Still remember the vin number..138571K130578..RIP:mad:

#19 ·
there isn't that much difference in overall production numbers. '70 was 146k....'71 128.6k...and '72 181k.....I was referring to 454 cars....'70 SS 3823....'71 SS 1919 and the '72 W at 1268.....;)

#17 ·
There are a lot of differences between a '70 and a '71/72 Monte. The "crest" on the '70 and 71's has .the year in roman numerals on the "helmet".

IMO... '70 is the year to have.... I had a '70 back in the 80's when I was 18...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.