Team Chevelle banner

Pete Jackson Gear Drive

17K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  blown496 
#1 ·
I am going to be rebuilding the Big Block currently in my car. I am have decided on the cam and heads that I will be using but there is one thing I am debating. I have always liked the sound of a "Noisy" gear drive and am considering installing a Pete Jackson Gear Drive.

What are the pros and cons to using one. The car will not be driven a great deal (2000 to 3000 per year).

Should I do the gear drive or a double timing chain?

Thanks!

#4 ·
You will encounter many opinions but I will tell you that I love that sound. Those that either cant or wont appriciate that sound will never understand. Its just a car guy thing I guess.

-its just like the annoying drone of some mufflers-it can get old real fast.

This one dosent sound to bad actually

Marc S

#12 ·
Those that either cant or wont appriciate that sound will never understand. Its just a car guy thing I guess.
Right, a car guy thing, whatever that means. There is nothing to understand or appreciate; it's some gears in a motor that make a whining noise, it isn't art, science or sculpture. It's not as though liking them means you are somehow enlightened or aware of some cosmic secrets about meaning of life, it's sound and either you like it or you don't, it doesn't mean anything more than that. If OP likes the sound he should use them, if not he shouldn't.

#7 ·
What!?! :D

#8 ·
They have been around forever. I used them exclusivly in our Race Boats back in the '70's. You could hear it whine over the open headers.

I never had any problems, even with the latest in heavy seat pressure valve spring tech back then.

They actually make a noisy one, and a quiet one. From what I remember, I would go with the quiet one.

#20 ·
^^^ Winner!

they turn heads when driving down the road
A naked sumo wrestler with his hair on fire turns heads too. Do you want to be that person?

#11 ·
This is going to start a debate. I loved my Pete Jackson noisey geardrive. I had dumped 2 chamber flows with my old 327 and could barely hear it from inside the car but outside was the typical noisey geardrive. I still like them and would run another one but unfortunately PJ went out of business. I would run a quiet one though just because. You will get people who will tell you it creates cam harmonics because of the gear on gear but Ive never seen a engine blow because of cam harmonics. I dont really see the problem. Pretty much the same idea as the gears in a manual transmission or a ring and pinion. Those are both gear on gear.

#13 ·
Well said Stu.

The biggest "pro" is rock solid timing which can also be had with a quality roller timing chain. The biggest "con" is you decide you dont like it and have to tear your engine apart to install a chain.

I've been running the PJ "Quiet" version for about 7-8 years and maybe 10-12k miles with no problems. Some days I like it, some days I dont. I loved the way they sounded on other peoples cars... "bad a#s" I think was the term.

Like someone said earlier (paraphrasing), if you think you want one, then just do it and get it out of your system. You'll either love it or hate it. It's what YOU think that matters. It's your car you know? Have fun and post a video.

#17 ·
if you decide to use it just put every other bolt in the timing cover so it'll be faster to get off while you're working with the headache it causes. :)

#19 · (Edited)
It depend on the company who manufactured the gear drive. A while back Edelbrock had two types of gear drive. Loud and quiet. I bought the quiet gear drive for my 350. It was fairly quiet but you can still hear it as you drive the Chevelle. Between the stereo and the rumble of the exhaust I hardly notice it. Disadvantage is gear drive will eat some horse power at high RPM. The advantage is it keeps the timing in the ignition system rock solid. And it sounds great to me. Had it in my 350 for over 15 years and showed no wear or tear at all. When I sold the 350 it took out gear drive and installed it on my new 406 and it sound very sweet. :thumbsup:

#24 ·
...if you like Joe Dirt, you will love gear drives.
Thats just as bad as the previous "car guy thing" comment... ;)

Some people like loud exhausts, Flowmaster 2-chamber, maybe 3 chamber; some people like glasspacks, some like quieter exhaust... Some people like the sound of a "lumpy" cam even if it isn't the best choice ( apparently enough that Comp cams created the "Thumpr" line).

Always wanted gear drive, and NOT because it sounds like a blower... When growing up, there were 2 or 3 cars around that were very fast and running gear drive... Not that there weren't "quiet" cars running faster, but as a teen, these cars stood out...

BUT they were expensive compared to timing chains, so I never got one... Recently, I figured I'd get one since I can afford it, but now I learned my block won't accept one (older version World Motown block)...:sad: I do worry that I'll quickly get tired of the sound.

A good friend of mine installed gear drive for the "blower whine", but he had a blower that was quiet (B&M 144?)... But he had a '66 Mustang, and the thick aluminum cover muted the sound quite a bit... So it wasn't too annoying.

#23 ·
When I bought the gear drive it was because every time I rebuild my motor once every 3 or 4 years, I notice my double roller timing chain would stretch and feel loose. Got to that point where I decided of getting gear drive setup so the timing does not fluctuate.

#26 ·
wow they still make those noisy ass things????i hated them in the 80's and 25 plus years later have not changed my mind.hate them hate them hate them....
then again its your car........

#27 ·
I ran one for 20 years in a blown 350. The blower belt, the gear, solid lifters, loud exhaust was music to my ears. My blown 496 is not noisy enough but still gets the thumbs up and great comments every time I am on a cruise. Windows down and too loud for a radio is my deal. Build you car the way you like it and let others worry about their own style. Opinions are like.....well, you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.