Team Chevelle banner

Vinyl Top trim

14K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Nelton H. Galloway 
#1 ·
I am planning to put a vinyl top on my 71. It was an original vinyl top car, but does not have any of the trim, etc. now. I just received my order of vinyl trim molding from OPGI and realized it is basically the trim, not the fasteners.
Does anyone have some info on what parts I need and where to get them to attach this pretty and expensive molding to the car?
Also, is the vinyl top material from OPGI top quality?

Thanks
Fun (most of the time) 71

#2 ·
There is a guy on ebay that has an ebay store called Fasteners plus. I bought my molding clips from him and they worked fine. Not expensive either. I just put a vinyl top on my car but I got the top from npd. It is top quality and I'm sure opgi's is also.

#3 ·
CAUTION__CAUTION---------The repo rain gutter mouldings will not fit v. top cars. WHY????? My problem was with my one owner 70 SS 454. I screwed up two sets of repo gutter trim @ 90.00 a set. Then I went to a Body shop to have them installed. I must be doing something wrong???? Now I am on the third set at a body shop. The body man said "The V-top lays in the bottom of the gutter then comes up and over the outside of the gutter the gutter trim holds the V-top in place. He told me "You have the wrong trim" Heres the RUB!!! ---Most repo gutter trim is made for NON-V-TOP cars. It will be to narrow to go over the V-top and clip on to the bottom. You may want to check to see if it will go on tight WITHOUT the top. If it will go on tight without a top It WILL NOT go on with a V-top. Try to find some OEM V-top trim. Yes I used the repo trim. and I had to cut the V-top and it is glued to the bottom of the gutter. Check all avenues before you get into a JACK_POT. Just something to think about. On 70 GM cars. "TWO" gutter trims = V-top Trim and Non V-top trim. A 70 V-top trim piece will fit loose on a non -V-top car. Bob "Make the gutters fit the trim"???????????

Reactions: RAMBO
#5 ·
Thanks to both of you. I realized it was the molding clips I need to get and then after reading about the gutter rail trim, I am sure I will need to get the vinyl top style. I have nice ones on there now, but they are tight without the vinyl.

Any good suggestions on where to get the OEM style for vinyl?

#6 ·
You're going to have to source out a good used set, no other way. I will back up what Robinls5 has said as well. There IS a difference in the mouldings. I measured and it is about 1/16"-1/8". Not much but it makes the difference of them fitting or you bending the hell out of them trying to get them on.

My '69 was a non-vinyl car and I added a vinyl top to it. When I tried to install the original drip rail mouldings ( which I had paid big $$$ to have buffed ) they absolutely would not go on. I tracked down a set from a '68 Beaumont that had a vinyl top, and they popped right on.

#7 ·
That's what I was afraid of. Any ideas of where to start looking for good originals? I guess a set from a 68-72 A-body would fit??

One silly question, is it possible to cut the vinyl short of where the molding has to push down to, or will that cause problems?

Great pix!!!

Fun 71
It's getting better all the time

#8 ·
That's what I was afraid of. Any ideas of where to start looking for good originals? I guess a set from a 68-72 A-body would fit??

One silly question, is it possible to cut the vinyl short of where the molding has to push down to, or will that cause problems?
Any Chevelle or Beaumont will do from 68-69, other year Chevelles will be different. Not sure if 68-69 Buick or Pontiac will fit, hopefuly someone will chime in.

Yes, it is possible to trim the vinyl away from the drip rail area, but then you run the risk of moisture getting under the top.

#9 ·
Hate to jump in on a 66 regarding the same situation; but maybe similar problems will help. Do the 66's have the same problem with the drip rail moldings? The collision estimator sheets I have from Oct of 67 seem to indicate the rear window reveal moldings 7580180-1 (L & R) are the same for vinyl or non vinyl top 2 dr hdt cars. And that there is a front and a rear retainer used under the moldings to hold the vinyl top.

Doesn't seem to indicate a difference in the drip rail moldings; but don't know if I am reading the sheets correctly. It lists a: Molding W/strip, Roof Rail 7628184-5 and a: Retainer, Rail W/Strip 7649434-5. Assume these are the L R drip rail moldings and the L & R retainers for the drip rail when equiped with a vinyl top. any help in clarification is appreciated? Thanks.

#11 ·
The '70 that I had in '77 had a non original vinyl top. In the gutter there was a plastic strip holding the vinyl down and the strip was held in place by the molding. I am sure that it was forced in past the trim so that the original molding would not need to be changed. I wonder if something similar could be done now instead of trying to find original moldings?
Paul

#14 ·
Great info, I was wondering why mine fits a little loose, I yanked them off a 72 parts car that originally was a vynle top car.

#16 ·
I won't bet my life on it, but if the wager was a little more forgiving and interesting I'd bet that the 70 - 72 Skylark drip rail scalp moldings will fit. Be aware that in 72 the Skylark vinyl roof covers did not go all the way to the drip rails, so effectively the vinyl roof moldings would be the same as non-vinyl roof Skylarks for 72!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.