Team Chevelle banner

496 AFR 290's.

22K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  dirtlips408 
#1 ·
93 octane pump gas bought at the local Racetrac...

a little video..

See less See more
1 2
#4 ·
pretty basic combo, off the shelf Scat 4340 profiled crank, Scat 6.385 H beams, SRP#212157 pistons, Moroso windage tray, Milodon Chevelle pan. 1989 .060 454 block, ARP main studs, mains line honed. Cometic head gaskets, ARP head studs. Oval port Weiand Team G ported to the heads. Holley ultra HP 1050 Dominator reworked from Racecraft Racing Carburetor's. Cam is a custom Comp solid roller .726in/.705ex, 252in/258ex @.050. This thing idles like a Cadillac, but revs like a pro stock..very happy with it!!

#22 ·
pretty basic combo, off the shelf Scat 4340 profiled crank, Scat 6.385 H beams, SRP#212157 pistons, Moroso windage tray, Milodon Chevelle pan. 1989 .060 454 block, ARP main studs, mains line honed. Cometic head gaskets, ARP head studs. Oval port Weiand Team G ported to the heads. Holley ultra HP 1050 Dominator reworked from Racecraft Racing Carburetor's. Cam is a custom Comp solid roller .726in/.705ex, 252in/258ex @.050. This thing idles like a Cadillac, but revs like a pro stock..very happy with it!!
thanks guys! As I'm sure most on this forum know Mike Lewis at Wolfplace is a great guy to deal with and was able to price these heads well under what most others sell them for as well as answer a number of I'm sure annoying technical questions for me. Chris Straub who is also one of the best on here gave me the hook up on a Bullet cam, Romac Rollmaster Gold series chain and GS Ultra Pro solid rollers. He also answered the numerous phone calls from me concerning this build, again great guys to deal with!
Nice build :thumbsup:, putting a supercharged 496 together with the 290's for a buddy right now.....
Did Chris spec the cam? Is it a Comp or Bullet??

#7 ·
thanks guys! As I'm sure most on this forum know Mike Lewis at Wolfplace is a great guy to deal with and was able to price these heads well under what most others sell them for as well as answer a number of I'm sure annoying technical questions for me. Chris Straub who is also one of the best on here gave me the hook up on a Bullet cam, Romac Rollmaster Gold series chain and GS Ultra Pro solid rollers. He also answered the numerous phone calls from me concerning this build, again great guys to deal with!

#13 ·
Hi Reed
Thanks, glad we could help a little :beers:
Looks nice but something is really goofy with that torque, almost looks like the dyno was loading & unloading the engine?

What was the weather like on the day you tested?

#24 ·
:confused: Am I missing something or do the A/F numbers trend a little lean after about 4500 RPM? I wouild think there might be some power to be gained with the A/F ratios in the mid to low 13's. If nothing else it would bring peace of mind after dropping some serious cash on an engine build.

#25 ·
those numbers are calculated off the fuel and air flow meter numbers. Just gives sort of a ballpark deal usually. If you really want to know run a WBO2 sensor.

#32 ·
Did Kim build this engine or did you just dyno it there? Do you plan to race it, if so where at?!
I don't plan on racing it much. We have a few nostalgia events here in the area that I plan on going to though. I usually build my own stuff but this time I had Kim build this one as my free time is limited. I'm still not done with the car but thats ok...I do plan on a tuning this thing better on chassis dyno when I'm finished. I just wanted to get a idea of what I might have or have not on his dyno... I figured I'd share it on here just to show these 290 AFR's have a lot of potential...

#30 ·
Looks strong ! That`s a relatively short duration for a solid roller, that`s somewhere around 244 @ .050 hyd roller according to what I`ve heard...but it looks like it hangs in there nicely !
What is in the carb as far as pv`s and jets ?
Good job btw !

#33 ·
jeez, tough crowd. 496 w/290s, over 750HP? what's not to like. that 29.00 might have thrown in a little extra correction, but still. Look at that freakin torque curve, if you can even call it a curve.....

>>> The baro is likely uncorrected. Probably. is Carrolton close to sea level?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.