Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

AC #44 Spark Plug still available?

32K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  John_Muha 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if AC Delco still sells the #44 spark plugs? I have checked a few parts stores around here and none of them carry these anymore. I'm restoring my 327 to OEM specs, and I'd like to run the original type spark plugs. Thanks!

#2 ·
Nope. They were discontinued AT LEAST 10yrs ago. If you just have to have 44s, you will need to advertise for some NOS 44s. Reach deep into your pockets!

------------------
Tom Parsons

#3 ·
People do sell them on Ebay quite often, but as Tom said they go fairly high. Expect to pay between $50 and $80. I would just use the latest compatible plug that AC sells.

Corey

------------------
TC # 233
ACES # ?

71 307 Malibu
66 396 SS Project

Email: corey@chevelles.com

#6 ·
My '65 used AC44's stock. I put some non-suppresion plug cables on and started using R45's for day-to-day around town driving, and R44's for highway in the summer driving. Worked fine. I think I have 2 or 3 sets of used 44's in my "stuff" somewhere. Hope this is useful.

[This message has been edited by JJ'65 (edited 04-21-2001).]

#7 ·
I believe that NGK offers a replacement plug for the AC44's. I bought a set of NGK's for my fathers '48 Plymouth becuase I couldnt' find the AC's. I have seen the 44's at swap meets, but I wasn't particular with that old Plymouth.

These plugs cross reference as replacements
Autolite - A7
Champion - J8

I hope this helps

------------------
Bryan Shook
My website with lots of classic cars
1972 Chevrolet El Camino Options, Codes & Pricing
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

[This message has been edited by elcamino72 (edited 04-21-2001).]

#8 ·
While using comparable plug to the 44 is great for performance however I think the reason for the 44 is that it was OEM. Using a non-AC plug would be not right

My advice is to run an R45. The surpression (r) is inside, as far as I can tell you can't tell the difference.

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201
sniper0666@aol.com
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla! <oo=+=oo>

#9 ·
The replacement plug for 44 Is the R44XLS
these are a dime a dozen that you can get at any auto parts store. I run these in my 66 396/325, about $1.50ea.

Rocky Hill

------------------
A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

My66SS

#10 ·
#11 ·
John,
in one of your posts you asked the difference in 44 & 44N Go to http://www.acdelco.com and click on spark plug legend, this will show how to read all the numbers and letters on a spark plug,(AC delco) there has been a lot of conversation about what these letters and numbers mean, this should clear up any questions about how to read them,

Rocky Hill

------------------
A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

My66SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.