Team Chevelle banner

Scored a virgin TH475

22K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  o6r1man 
#1 ·
I responded to an ad on CL this morning. Time to upgrade the Camaro!

Picked it up for $100

How to tell a TH475 from a TH400:

Were installed in light heavy duty trucks and RV's (this one came out of an RV)
6 bolt converter
Factory deep pan
Tailhousing mounted parking brake
Internal: Straight cut planetaries!! (real reason I bought it)

See less See more
#4 ·
I used to do some of those on a fleet of 1 ton dualies hauling goosnecks full of Dr. Pepper. Severely overloaded. Exhaust manifolds would glow red....tried headers but they would burn through in about 2 weeks.

But the transmissions were pertty tough once we added more coolers to them. I used to scarf the straight cut gears out of the cores for my projects too! And adding the park brake pawl made them street usable.

Good score!

JIM

#9 ·
Don't laugh Alan. Been talking with a performance transmission builder and also doing some reading on some other forums and the SC's can be worth a couple of numbers in 60 foot.

Now for the payoff.

The tranny was equipped with all the goodies and when I got it apart I've never seen a TH400/475 so nice inside. Rear thrust perfect, all pressure plates perfect, even had to tap the pump to pull it since it had never been apart or tapped. Scarf cut seals on the pump and drums, 6 clutches in the direct, 3 intermediate and 5 in the forward hub. Very nice piece inside.

#11 ·
Thats a great score!! I forgot all about these I serviced more than my shair of them at my uncles trans shop some 30 years ago. I use to hate having too pull those when we freshened one up seemed like everyone went too lunch when it was time to lift it off the jack.

#19 ·
All kidding aside, I have a TH400 with the square cut gears in it that I am no longer going to use. It has a Coan converter that was redone by Munsinger. Flashes at 4900. This was used behind a Mark Jones built 505 . PM me if anyone is interested. I know this might need to be moved to the for sale section, and please forgive me if I over stepped my boundaries in this thread. Regards, Arlo

#21 ·
that's a great find garret, even better price.

I've never seen one myself, so it's cool to see the picture you took.

x2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.