Team Chevelle banner

Starter spins does not seem to engage

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  anychevy 
#1 ·
Hey guys, need some help here. Everything is new in the resto on a 69 Chevelle SS. Wanted to get it started this weekend. Anyway...using a mini starter on a 454. Initially was not getting anything to the starter and figured out I needed to jumper the NSS. Did that and now the starter is energizing but it sounds as though it's not engaging the flywheel, just spins? Any ideas?help please. Thanks
Lou

#2 ·
I don't have any experience with mini starters but I'm sure the principals are the same, the solenoid is engaging but not throwing out ? or wrong gear for the flywheel ? teath missing from flexiplate ? pull it off and bench test it. maybe some others will chime in ?
Dave

#3 ·
Thanks for the response Dave.
Figured it out...there are two possible mounting positions with a Mini...why? Don't know why but I suppose the first installation (which made more sense to me...and where the notch on the mini starter mounting block appears to be made to wrap the edge of the block/oil pan)...was incorrecto. It was spinning but not engaging the flywheel. Well, moved it to the second position which seems to be a slight lateral move away from the block and it fixed the problem...Not sure how that works because it seems to me I would be increasing the gap between the starter gear and the flywheel by moving in that direction...But then again...starts and runs now.
Thanks again
Lou

#6 ·
We use a Chevy mini starter on our 396 Chevelle. It whips the engine over as if all the spark plugs were removed. A lot of power for such a little unit. I have a suspicion that these little starters will over heat very quickly if your car doesn't want to start. Not much size to dissipate heat. If you get yours working, you will be pleased I am sure.

#7 ·
We use a Chevy mini starter on our 396 Chevelle. It whips the engine over as if all the spark plugs were removed. A lot of power for such a little unit. I have a suspicion that these little starters will over heat very quickly if your car doesn't want to start. Not much size to dissipate heat. If you get yours working, you will be pleased I am sure.
I prefer the OEM type myself, heavy I know, but when they're rebuilt right they will last for ever !
dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.