Team Chevelle banner

Lambrecht Auction results for the 69 Chevelle SS

16K views 66 replies 40 participants last post by  Dean 
#1 ·
#3 ·
So, the roof "came down because of snow load", really. They can't actually believe that.

It's hard to believe someone would spend that much money on this car which was realistically abandoned in a field.

I assume the buyers figure the provenance is worth the premium, I bet they will be in for a rude surprise.

Steve R

#4 ·
They still gotta get the people to pay..... Looks like everything is going for insane stupid money. IMO low miles don't mean sh** if it's been sitting in a field for 30-40+ years...

#5 ·
PT Barnum is once again proven correct.

#6 ·
Insane.

People get so excited at auctions.

There were pictures of the 69 Chevelle in the field but it had a tree on top of the roof, not snow........it was on the carsinbarns website years ago.

27K......mine is in way way better shape on Kijiji and people are having a hard time coming up with way less than that.......I do need to cut one oak tree down on my lot, if it falls on my car will the sale price double, or will I need to put it in a field for 2 decades?

Ryan

#8 ·
this is exactly how I thought it would go.

I've been buying at auction for 15 years. I've seen stupid money thrown at crap more times than I can remember.

#19 ·
one of the guys said he was bidding on it for parts for his own car and the use the 396 motor for his own car then part out the rest of the car.:clonk::clonk:l:)l:):wacko::wacko:

#20 ·
one of the guys said he was bidding on it for parts for his own car and the use the 396 motor for his own car then part out the rest of the car.:clonk::clonk:l:)l:):wacko::wacko:
I seen that as well. He bid 25K, but lost the auction and said he was going to part the car out. What trailer park did he come from?

#21 ·
It was pilfered beyond repair. Plus had rust on every panel. I seen the funniest thing that day- guy was pushing down around the left side of the rear window checking for rust, never mind that it was caved in 6". I should have snapped a pic of that, he'd be famous.

On a side note I was very surprised at how solid floors and pickup box floors were. Tri-five guys should be happy with all the rust free fenders.
(perspective from someone in the snowbelt)

#23 ·
I really think a person has to personally look at these types of cars in person. You get a car with surface rust covered in dirt and dust and snap a picture of it and it looks terrible. Bit you see it in person and you realize its just the picture.

#24 ·
I had a long in depth conversation yesterday afternoon with a friend that was out there to bid. The cars such as the Red low mile Impala had scale rust on the frame and undercarriage that was flaking and up to 3/16 thick. At some point all of the low mile cars had been outside except for the Cameo. According to what was told to him and later verified Chevrolet had a strict rule about a Chevrolet New Car Dealer not being allowed to have last years models on the same lot as the New model line after the year changed. Hence a new 64 model could not be on the lot in Jan of 65 it was moved to a back lot to be sold or kept in this case. The Best vehicle there for condition was the Cameo and he was successful on obtaining it for his museum, as he said the truck was worth 70k for what it was and 70 k for its history and story. It will be kept as-is Filthy with now a Million fingerprints all over it.

Jim

#25 ·
I saw on the history channel program that aired last night an interview with a losing bidder on that car. a local person who said he only brought 25,000 to bid with. he said he " had a chevelle back at the house. wanted the big block and "some" ss stuff for it." think he wanted the vin plate and trim tag? hmmn...

#26 ·
You know I understand abit, the BJ auction prices, Rich people getting feed drinks, buyer assistant, amping up the buyer, a 15 second spot on TV. But a cornfield in the Midwest, I'm truly amassed at the numbers paid, some of the prices were high, even if they were buying a done car, go figure. Pays to advertise.

#28 ·
Sheesh! Are you serious? Someone paid 27k for a basket case 69...with a caved in roof? I would have sold him my recently frame off FINISHED 66SS that is NICE for not much more than that!

Auctions are stupid.

#29 ·
Any time you have a high profile auction with cameras, news stations, magazines, reporters, and whom ever else that shows up to further make it a circus, all the more money then brain types come out with them. I know you cant fix stupid but I just cant think of anyone with any decent amount of money would be stupid enough to by that 69 just to make a parts car out of it. Anyone with that kind of money laying around is at least smart enough to know how to make it and responsible enough to make good decisions on continuing making a good living, running a business, etc. In other words, anyone I know with that kind of money isnt stupid enough to spend it foolishly for a "parts car". They have a good business sense or they wouldnt have the kind of money they have in the first place. This guy doesnt sound too bright.

#30 · (Edited)
It's all the media attention. If it weren't for potential television or magazine exposure Pinks All Out, Drag Week, Super Chevy Shows, Power Tour would be or would have been, just another nothing special event. Same with auctions, if anyone remembers that show Wrecks to Riches, there was a core group of bidders mugging for the camera no matter where they went.

Steve R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.