Team Chevelle banner

1969 Chevelle WHAT TIRES/WHEELS DO YOU RUN?

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Brob 
#1 ·
Hello all. My chevelle has always been in the family. I got it from my brother who let it sit and rot. This year and last I have been restoring the car. I want it 90% stock, but SOME advances in technology in the 36 years of the cars life would be Welcome, such as better brakes WHEELS and TIRES! (also new brakes all around with upgraded front disc calipars) The modifications to the car would be for saftey and drivibility. My favorite wheels have always been American Racing Torque D thrusts.

I am about to order wheels and tires! I would very much like to know WHAT FITS!!

What are you guys running out there? Please share with me your wheel-tire combos so I wont scrape the tires on my rebuilt STOCK suspension.

My car is a 1969 Chevelle, SS 396 drop top. It had the rallye style wheels on it. I am looking at the D thrusts It came with single piston front disc brakes.
FRONT 15" x 7"
REAR 15" x 8"

PLease tell me if you think if these are already a bad size to use, I was thinking perhaps
FRONT BFG radials255/60/15
REAR BFG radials255/60/15

Please help me out!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Check this thread. I have BFG 255/60/15 on 7" rims and 4 1/4" backspacing on all 4 on my -69. It's a bit tight between the upper fender lip and the tire in the front, I had to remove the upper screws for the wheel wells to keep them from rubbing. Next time I'll probably go with 235 or something up front. No problems with the rear tires though, plenty of room for 255's there.

#4 ·
:waving: Welcom to Team Chevelle , it has provided me with a lot of good information over the last six years, during the build of my 64 convertible.

You will get better answers posting you question in the forum "Wheels and Tires". Also try doing a search.

I'm runnig a similar sets up as bob.s All four 235/60 x15 BFG TA's. I will e-mail a couple pictures with my suspension configuration.

Also look at a fairly new forum "Convertibles". :cool:

#6 ·
I think you would be good with the factory brakes if you plan on running 14's or 15's, unless youve got some real streetable horse power. of course if you up the anty to go to 16's etc obviously upgrade to the wilwood or comparable disc system. on my convt. the original SS wheels with 245/60/14 Dunlop GT Qualifiers, they are cheap, effective and hold the road quite well, not to mention look sharp. approx 40 bucks cheaper a piece than the BFG's. good luck, jason.

#9 ·
Thanks for the information and the photos. As a result of your help I intend to order torq-ds 15".
7" wide on the front and 8.5" on the back with 225x60 on the front and 255x60 on the rear with bullet nuts and the flat air stems.
We have already ordered vented roters & stainless steel calipers for the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.