Team Chevelle banner

Best way around Chicago? (Mich to Wisc)

7K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Xtreme70SS396 
#1 ·
I will be traveling from michigan to wisconsin tomorrow and am looking for the best way to get around the chicago area. I will be comming down I94 - Every time I go through that way it's a clusterf#$k - Any other ways around that damn place?

Thanks

LK

#2 ·
Yes, but it will probably take longer given the added miles. You can take the 294 split up near Lake-cook road, and 294 loops around the west side of Chicago, then loops back to hook up with 80-94 well south of Chicago.

Reverse that if you're going UP I-94 to Wisconsin... I got the impression you were coming down I-94 from the Wisconsin border, but I may have misread your note.

#3 ·
Good luck, I went thru there at 1am on a Saturday night and it was a clusterf#$k. Pot holes, toll roads, road construction, not very nice.

#4 ·
When I lived in the northern suburbs, I would always take the Skyway, which is pretty far to the east of the other roads. It is shorter and less crowded (because it costs money). It puts you back on the interstate pretty far north, which puts you in the front of the traffic jam, if there is one (usually there is). I think it was worth the money to get home an hour earlier.

#5 ·
Take the ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee.... sure it costs a little more, but it's sweet! High speed, cold beer, someone else is driving.....
http://www.lake-express.com/

Might be a little late now to get on the boat, but I recommend it at least once if even just for the experience. I brought a handheld GPS once, and clocked the boat at 38mph! Plus I got to drive my truck onto a boat.... :D

#6 ·
Bless your soul....I refuse to get anywhere near that ****hole.

#9 ·
Actually it's the same miles as I am going all the way to the west side of WI. I think I am going around the top going but on the way back we are staying at the dells for a couple days so I have no choice.

Thanks for the input, Keep em' comming.

LK

#11 ·
I 294 (toll) is the best route, It just depends on the time of day your traveling, 3:00pm to 6:pm is not a good time to be on any roads around Chicago.
the worst part of the drive will be I 80 in Indiana (IMO)

#12 ·
If you're staying at the dells, you can avoid it altogether - take 294 around, it won't be that bad or that different in miles. I figured you were coming from directly north of Chicago, when taking 294 doesn't make sense.

Take I-90 East to 294, 294 south and east into Indiana. It merges with 80-94 a couple miles in from Indiana. I don't recommend the "shortcut" taking 290 to get to 294, as I believe it's currently got some of the construction. 294 is a nice fast 4-lane the whole way, I don't think there's any construction on it - but there are tolls (use an IPass if you can, no stops).

#15 ·
If you're staying at the dells, you can avoid it altogether - take 294 around, it won't be that bad or that different in miles. I figured you were coming from directly north of Chicago, when taking 294 doesn't make sense.

Take I-90 East to 294, 294 south and east into Indiana. It merges with 80-94 a couple miles in from Indiana. I don't recommend the "shortcut" taking 290 to get to 294, as I believe it's currently got some of the construction. 294 is a nice fast 4-lane the whole way, I don't think there's any construction on it - but there are tolls (use an IPass if you can, no stops).
will this work comming from the dells to michigan? I have not looked at a map yet for the roads you speak of. We got here fine, went around the top & no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for all the responses.

LK

#13 ·
The last few times I was through Chicago, the traffic moved pretty well on I-294. They have it finished up to and past the junction with I-80. Like mentioned above, it's 80-94 in Indiana around the I-65 interchange thats all messed up. Taking I-94 up towards Michigan might not be too bad. I vote for the ferry to Muskegon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.