Team Chevelle banner

Mark(mike1321/vortec Pro) New Engine Report

20K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  kjett 
#1 ·
GUYS,i thought you would be interested in a fellow t/chevelle members(TOD66) exeprience with one of Marks 475cid 570hp engines which i just recieved in a PM which i pasted below.

Scott
=========================================================

I ordered one of Mike 1321 Vortecpro's engines from his ebay ad, you said to let you know how I liked it.

I LOVE IT! Man that thing is a huge difference from my mostly stock 402!!!! I bought the 475-570hp engine and that thing is a screamer. Anyway the quality is great so far and no leakes either. I can't say enough about Marks follow up too.

He called me several time to ask me how things were with the motor and to see if I had any problems. Great engine and I love it! I got on it today for the first time and I was amazed at the torque and power.

You were right, I do like my new motor.

Tod

#2 ·
Its always nice to hear positive things about vendors/engine builders !!
Guy

#6 ·
Scott,

Thanks for posting that!

I was very concerned about ordering an engine over the internet, but I'm glad I did. When placing my order, Mark asked lots of questions about my intended application for the car, the type of rearend, carb, tranny, and even the elevation of where I live.

He had me call him at least once a week just to keep in contact. I really didn't want to bother him, but he insisted and I'm glad he did. He kept me up to date on the progress and I felt relieved to be included in the info.

The engine came from Colorado in two days from when shipped, it was crated and arrived in excellent shape. I had Mark dyno my engine with a new MDS distributor in it for ease of tranisition when I hooked the moter up. It was uncrated and installed in my car and after the wiring was hooked up with a new new MDS 6AL box, Taylor 10.4mm wires and an Alumitech duel electric fan set-up that engine fired right up and ran cool.

I am VERY IMPRESSED with not only Mark's customer service, but his excellent engine! What a difference from my mostly stock 1971 402ci.

If any members are even thinking about a new engine, at least talk to Mark and get a feel for his knowledge about BB engines. There are others on this forum that build engines too, but for my value = $$, Mark couldn't be beat (in my opinion).

Thanks a lot Mark, you did a great job and I'll recomend you to anyone on this forum, or here in my home town! If anyone wants to PM me about my experience, please feel free to contact me and lets talk:thumbsup:

Tod

G
#20 ·
Scott,

Thanks for posting that!

I was very concerned about ordering an engine over the internet, but I'm glad I did. When placing my order, Mark asked lots of questions about my intended application for the car, the type of rearend, carb, tranny, and even the elevation of where I live.

He had me call him at least once a week just to keep in contact. I really didn't want to bother him, but he insisted and I'm glad he did. He kept me up to date on the progress and I felt relieved to be included in the info.

The engine came from Colorado in two days from when shipped, it was crated and arrived in excellent shape. I had Mark dyno my engine with a new MDS distributor in it for ease of tranisition when I hooked the moter up. It was uncrated and installed in my car and after the wiring was hooked up with a new new MDS 6AL box, Taylor 10.4mm wires and an Alumitech duel electric fan set-up that engine fired right up and ran cool.

I am VERY IMPRESSED with not only Mark's customer service, but his excellent engine! What a difference from my mostly stock 1971 402ci.

If any members are even thinking about a new engine, at least talk to Mark and get a feel for his knowledge about BB engines. There are others on this forum that build engines too, but for my value = $$, Mark couldn't be beat (in my opinion).

Thanks a lot Mark, you did a great job and I'll recomend you to anyone on this forum, or here in my home town! If anyone wants to PM me about my experience, please feel free to contact me and lets talk:thumbsup:

Tod
Thanks for that!

#7 ·
Sounds like excellent service. Might have to call him.

What is the bore/stroke and what heads and mods does he use?

#8 ·
I believe it runs on 93 piump gas but maybe Todd or Mark (engine builder) will chime back in to verify it.

scott

#10 ·
Can you share the build specs with us ??
Guy

#11 ·
The only negative I've heard about this builder is from a friend of mine who wanted a "build sheet" so to speak, listing what parts were used. As of Yesterday I don't think he has been provided with that info. Probably cost him a sale.

#14 ·
Who is going to give you a build sheet to an engine you haven't bought? Im sure Mark would have answered any question he had.

#12 ·
Oh another question what was the shipping roughly? If I get one, I want to figure how much it would cost to ship roughly. I will be getting mine shipped to Ogdensburg NY to avoid BROKERAGE ( @#$@#$@#%^Y*^&* ) ;)

#13 ·
Oh another question what was the shipping roughly? If I get one, I want to figure how much it would cost to ship roughly. I will be getting mine shipped to Ogdensburg NY to avoid BROKERAGE ( @#$@#$@#%^Y*^&* ) ;)
i bought his 505 a little over a month ago, it cost me $270 shipped to Chicago. as said before Marks engines and services are top notch, i drove almost 30 miles last night, never went above 175 on pump gas. im putting a new converter in this weekend and hopefully getting to the track tuesday

#15 · (Edited)
I had spoken to Mark on the phone in the recent past about getting a motor for a friend of mine 70 chevelle and he was very forth comming with all the info on what he puts in his motors etc. Mark ans all my questions and then some and was in no rush to get me off the phone untill he was sure he had answered all my questions

Mark seems to be top notch to me and gets glowing reports from the 2-3 t/chevelle members that have already bought & installed one of his engines.

scott

#24 ·
I have talked to him too (actually twice - once for a SB build he only does BB now and once for a complete engine), he seems nice enough. I think I caught him during a busy time... He does need to work on his ebay ad for his 571 hp engine. Does mark not make the 620 hp version anymore? I havent seen it in the last month or so. Guess it shows how often I look :D

IMHO I would put a more accurate description in the work you do on the engine and the parts supplied. Include the octane the engines require and maybe even an example Dyno sheet. *shrugs* If you get more sales 10% isnt a bad cut for me :hurray: lol.

"475 CID BIG BLOCK CHEVY, 571 HP @ 5700 RPM, 588 POUNDS OF TORQUE. ISKY HYDRAULIC CAM, VERY MILD, 9.2 COMPRESSION. THIS ENGINE WILL WORK IN JUST ABOUT ANY APPLICATION. AND REMEMBER THIS IS TEN SECOND HORSEPOWER IN A FIRST GENERATION CAMARO, EASY! ALL TOP QUALITY PARTS, FIRST RATE MACHINE WORK FULLY DYNO TESTED. 1 YEAR WARRANTY. COMES INTAKE TO PAN, RUNS ON PUMP GAS. AS WITH ALL MY AUCTIONS CHECK OUT MY FACILITY, WE ARE FULLY EQUIPPED TO DO THE JOB RIGHT, JUST ASK MY CUSTOMERS. 719 650-1609 SOME HELPFUL ADVICE. IN MY SHOP WE BUILD AND TEST TWO BIG BLOCKS A WEEK, SO WE GO THROUGH ALOT OF PARTS. I WILL START TALKING ABOUT DIFFERENT PARTS WE HAVE HAD TROUBLE WITH, IN ALL CASES THE MAKERS OF THESE PARTS WILL NEVER BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THESE PARTS. I PUT ALOT OF WORK INTO MY ENGINES, SO WHEN PARTS FAIL BECAUSE A MANUFACTURE WANTS TO SAVE SOME MONEY IT MAKES ME FURIOUS. SO HERE GOES. COMPETITION CAMS, MAGNUM 3/8 PUSHRODS, FAILURE BECAUSE OF CHANGE OF MANUFACTURE, I DO NOT RECOMMEND THESE. COMPETITION CAM ROTO COIL ELIMINATORS, THEY WILL NOT FIT OVER THE VALVE GUIDE, THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR TWO YEARS, I DO NOT RECOMMEND THESE. SPEED PRO, HAS DECIDED IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEAL TO SEND THE MANUFACTURING PLANT TO INDIA, THE PROBLEM IS NOT ONE DEMENSION ON THESE NEW PISTONS IS CORRECT, AGAIN NO ACCOUNTABILITY, I DO NOT RECCOMEND THESE. GOOD LUCK"

#39 ·
Mark, are you sonic testing all of your 454 blocks before you bore them out to 4.350? Just wondering if there are certain casting #'s that you look for and some that you stay away from?
Also, with that much overbore, am I right to assume that you have maxed out the available bore on a #445, #289, etc. casting? It would seem there wouldn't be any room for further rebuilds/refresh's down the road without sleeving all 8 cylinders.
Just asking questions...

#41 ·
I'm still trying to figure out why a guy that has the first name of Mark goes by Mike for a user name.:D

Mark = Mike1231?
I guess I was out of the loop when I went and picked JIM for my username.

#42 ·
He called me several time to ask me how things were with the motor and to see if I had any problems.
Personally, this sentence right here says alot!

Tod, congrats on your new mill! :thumbsup:

I'm still trying to figure out why a guy that has the first name of Mark goes by Mike for a user name.:D

Mark = Mike1231?
I guess I was out of the loop when I went and picked JIM for my username.
Yes Jim, you should have been John, John would have worked much better than Jim. Jim is for all the Jasons on the board. Did you not get the memo? :D

#43 ·
I have not purchased a motor from Mark, but have spoke with him on the phone several times, and is performing some work for me. Great guy to deal with. He asks me more questions, than I offer information. IMO sign of a guy who is truely all about doing the best job he can for the customers wants and needs.

#46 ·
Ken,

To answer your question, yes I have been back to the track.
Have I run what it is capable of yet? No.

Since installing Mark's engine I have had some issues from tires to carb to transmission.
The Holley that was tuned for the engine was ruined by a company that fabricated a new braided fuel line from tank to carb.
They never flushed the lines.
Still my best last year was a respectable low 12 in 107 degree heat.
I then bought a mighty demon 750 at the advice of a friend and installed it over the winter.
It is a good responsive carb but falls flat on the big end. I guess it is losing signal. Also it did not have jet extensions in it.
My 60 ft is around 1.74-1.75 but I think if I switch to a th350 from my 700r it could be in the 1.60's.
Best this year with the demon was a 12.72 at 106.

I just installed a 4150 hp Holley and am in the process of tuning it for next weekend.

I am also looking at a th350 to swap for my 700r.

I do not think a hi 11 is out of the question under the right circumstances with this mild 355.:D

#49 ·
Thanks for the update, Carl. Can you post the incrementals for your best run including weather/track conditions? Maybe you posted that information already and I just didn't see it. Also, do you know what the race weight of the car is? What about rear gear ratio and tires? The 700r4 has a pretty steep 1st gear IIRC. I had a couple of new IROC-Zs in the 80s and those things were quick out of the hole. No doubt the 700r4 is taking some power. The TH-350 and a good converter would certainly pick the car up. I wouldn't worry too much about jet extensions until the car is 60'ing in the mid-low 1.40 range, even then their benefit may be negligable. DO pay attention to fuel slosh. This will usually show up as inconsistent 60' times accompanied by a rich/lean bog. A slotted transfer tube between the bowl vents will fix this. The car will probably need to be running ~112 MPH to go high 11's depending on weight. That's approximately another 60hp at the tires. I saw in one of Mark's posts where this same Vortec 355 combo ran 113mph in the 1/4 at ~6,000' elevation/corrected altitude in a '65 Chevelle. Who's car is that and what are the specifics on the car itself? As I already stated, I'm not doubting Mark's abilities/work. The devil is in the details.

Again, thanks for sharing your progress and keep us updated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.