Team Chevelle banner

Anyone used the American Autowire Highway 15 harness?

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  garman1961 
#1 ·
Was wondering if any of you guys had used this harness and if there were any issues that came up.
I'm getting ready to do a major over haul on my '65 ss, body work, paint, replace wiring, change to 4 speed.
I can post some pics as I get along in this project but I'm starting with a very solid California car with very little rust that I bought about a year ago. It had already had the body removed from the frame and the frame was blasted and painted and all bushings, ball joints, bolts ect, replaced.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank for the reply, Micky. My concern was that the wires don't have a plug in to the fuse box. Instead they have these screw in type conecters and I had reservations about them until I thought, that's how the wiring in my house conects to the circuit breaker box so why shouldn't it work for my car.
Just not used to something other then the conventional plug in type conection.
Can you tell me if it was difficult to install? I'm a novice at wiring. By trade I'm a fabricator and I took electrical tech in college, didn't graduate, but wiring is not my strong suite.

#4 ·
Might consider a Classic Update kit if wiring is not a a strong suit.

most of the ends are on---comes with an ignition and light switch
Is already pretty much tied together as it will go into the car.

I used this kit in my 66 and was quite happy with it.

I used a Painless kit in a guy's 66 Pontiac and am still cussing about it.

The only modification is makeing an existing hole a bit larger for the fusebox/bulkhead.

#5 ·
The highway system comes with those switches also. The ignition switch doesn't exactly look like the original and it's not laid out like the classic system your talking about.
I guess I could send back the set I got from Ecklers for the classic set plus an extra $200 if it's worth the extra agrivation.

#6 ·
The highway system comes with those switches also. The ignition switch doesn't exactly look like the original and it's not laid out like the classic system your talking about.
I guess I could send back the set I got from Ecklers for the classic set plus an extra $200 if it's worth the extra agrivation.

Gary,

I would reccomend the Classic Update as well. The 15 is a generic kit. The Classic Update is built specifically for the Chevelle and the switches are more tailored to that car. In addition you get all the correct lamp sockets and connector bodies necessary to install it into a Chevelle. As to your question of worth, there is no comparison. Yes, The Classic Update is worth the extra money and even more with all the extra items you get that are needed for installation in your chevelle. Ortherwise, you end up cutting and splicing all your old lamp sockets and connectors which is a disaster.

Donny (AAW)

#8 ·
Good call Gary.:thumbsup:
I've installed a few AAW Classic Update kits and they are well worth the extra money.
The Highway series isn't a "bad" product by any means, but it's geared more to custom installations such as a street rod. Everything terminates to the main panel.
Using your house wiring analogy, imagine if each of your lights, outlets AND switches, contactors, etc. had to terminate back to the breaker panel instead of going breaker panel-->switch-->light

#9 ·
Contacted Ecklers today and they are going to except the return and forward the Classic update harness for me.
Yesterday I yanked the 700r trany out so I can install the M20 w/original Muncie shifter. By then I'll be ready for the wiring. Want to try to have all that stuff done before I start rock'n and roll'n on the body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.