Team Chevelle banner

450 SBC Preliminary Dyno Results

21K views 129 replies 31 participants last post by  540Hotrod 
#1 · (Edited)
This build has been a long time coming. LOTS of challenges initially and my schedule hasn't allowed much of anything the past 2 years.

First off, many thanks to the following:

- My wife and daughter for puting up with my crazy hours and always being gone....only to head to the garage or track to play when there is a little free time.
- Max and Ben Long at Long Racing Engines in Irving, TX. Thanks for the top notch machine work and letting me completely disrupt your busy shop to dyno my misfit naturally aspirated combination for a few days
- Curtis Boggs at RFD for working with me on his 15 deg. "Monster" heads. Very impressive heads and his latest stuff is even better. Nice job and thank you Curtis!
- John Wilson for selling me his hand me down Crower shaft rockers and help on the dyno today. Thanks bud!
- Mike Lewis for working with me on the custom Diamond pistons, Total Seal Rings, and EZX lifters
- Chad Speier for the work on the 2959 intake plenum and spacer.
- Charlie Gilbertson for working with me on the custom oil pan and screen.
- Loren at Crower for working with me on the custom shaft rocker stands.
- Rick at BLP for the custom carb parts and advice on the carb build.
- Paul Swartz for the custom billet top and plenum spacer assortment for the sheetmetal intake to be tested tomorrow.

Stuff like this doesn't just "happen." Lots of talented and good people behind any good build.

Engine:
- Dart 9.325” deck Iron Eagle Block
- Callies Magnum 4.125” stroke crank
- Lunati 6.125” Pro Billet rods (ARP 2000 bolts)
- Diamond Racing - Flat top inboard pin boss custom pistons (15.1:1 true compression)
- Total Seal, .043 top, .043 Napier 2nd, 3mm low tension oil
- Race Flow Development – custom CNC 15 deg. SBC Heads. 2.18 Ti intake valves/1.625 Ferrea SS exhaust valves.
- Speier Racing Heads ported Edelbrock 2959 (4150) intake
- Crower 1.7/1.7 SS shaft rockers
- Isky Red Zone .842" EZX lifters
- Trend 7/16” double taper pushrods with 210 deg. ball
- Custom solid roller cam - 274/296 @ .050, .864/.810 lift on a BBC cam core
- PAC 1228 springs with Manton Ti retainers – 330 psi seat/1000 psi open
- Jesel Belt Drive
- GZ Motorsports VP103 vacuum pump (12 in-Hg......worth ~12 HP)
- Star Machine vacuum pump mandrel
- MSD Pro-billet distributor and Crank trigger.
- Joe Gibbs breakin oil
- 2" to 2-1/8" dragster/chassis car style custom headers with Pipemax designed collectors.

Still some testing scheduled for tomorrow(sheetmetal intake), but here is some quick general info (by memory/notes) so far after 15 pulls. Lots of timing changes, jet changes, air bleed changes etc. to achieve the seudo optimized numbers below.

I will post sheets and more details later next week.

C14 fuel:
timing 31.5 degrees

Pro Systems 1100XC - 850 HP @ 7200 RPM (Reher-Morrison shear plate/spacer was worth ~10+ HP)
Holley 1000 HP(850) with annular boosters - 828 HP @ 7500 RPM (Was down by about the same amount the entire pull.) This carb has a dual bolt pattern Quick Fuel baseplate and 4150 to 4500 Super Sucker style adapter/spacer mounted on top of the Moroso 2" 4150 to 4500 spacer........so it is about as apples to apples as I could get. Note that the stock Holley jetting was dead nuts on this carb.
Home built/modified carb with BLP parts - Holley 1250 HP - 860 HP@ 7200 RPM / 671 lb-ft @ 6100 RPM (no spacer)

I was REALLY wishing I had an R-M 2.125" bore shear/plate spacer for the big carb!!!!!!!

Q16:
31.5 degrees timing

1250 HP carb from above - 878 HP @ 7300 RPM, 673 lb-ft @ 6300 RPM. Bleed changes were worth ~8 HP

Sheetmetal intake (several tops) and some Royal Purple XPR 5W20 are on the slate for tomorrow.

Hoping for 900+ HP tomorrow from my little DIY project.

See less See more
#5 ·
Wow....that HAS to sound sweet! Looking forward to the videos!

Congratulations...been waiting on this one!

JIM
Thanks guys!

Jim.....no video yet. Today was a little hectic. Will try to get some video tomorrow.....but yes it was music to my ears! :yes:

#3 ·
Wow....that HAS to sound sweet! Looking forward to the videos!

Congratulations...been waiting on this one!

JIM

#13 ·
Jason,

what did you end up with for intake and exhaust port volumes in the heads? did you consider going with a bigger lifter?

mike

#19 · (Edited)
Mike,

I did consider it, but I already had a good set of Isky lifters I was planning to re-use. Ended up having to go to a different lifter due to an interference issue. The next iteration will have bushed lifter bores and a .904 lifter. Possibly a 55mm cam tunnel.

I could tell you the intake runner volume........but I'd have to kill ya (just kidding). Keep in mind that the intake runners in this casting are longer to allow standard 18 deg. intakes to bolt up. That further skews the numbers. You can't compare it to a 23 degree head. The cross section is conservative. It was designed to peak at 7200 RPM, and it basically did. All that being said, I measured 314 cc.

Looks like a very stout setup, and a long project to get everything in order! Any reason for the 450 cube 4.125" stroker setup vs say a 3.75-3.875 stroke and rev higher to make power? Just curious.
I've got a 9.325" tall deck block.....might as well take advantage of the extra room :D
.......and it is going in a heavy car/Chevelle

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!

Total of 24 pulls in 2 days.

Chased my tail most of the day trying to tune the homemade 1250 HP(single) on the sheetmetal intake with a tee pee top.

Guess there is something to this tuned intake runner length stuff ;)

The sheetmetal intake is within .25" of the 4th harmonic for this combination.

Best pull was 915 HP @ 7400 RPM and 713.8 lb-ft @ 6000 RPM :eek:

That was with Royal Purple XPR 5W20 oil and Q16.

With the break in Joe Gibbs oil it was 911 HP / 702 lb-ft

Didn't get any video, but "pissed off small block" describes it pretty darn well.

Didn't get test the 2x1000 HP combination for several reason. We'll have to save that for another day.

All in all I'm very pleased with the results.

#25 ·
Very nice Jason,, congratulations :beers:
Been a long haul with a headache or two along the way so it is really great to see all your hard work giving you a little something back. :cool:

#28 ·
Excellent results & effort, Jason!! :thumbsup:

Your oil change results are real similar to what I saw. IIRC, mine picked up about 7hp at pk, but the middle of the pull was a solid 10-12hp better. Too bad you didn't get to test the 2x4 setup. I'm sure there's still more hp with that arrangement. :yes:

Garret, those sbc guys needed a new sheriff anyways.:yes: The old sheriff disappeared over a year ago and smallblock land is running amuck with these pesky junkyard LS engines. :eek::D

#30 ·
Excellent results & effort, Jason!! :thumbsup:

Your oil change results are real similar to what I saw. IIRC, mine picked up about 7hp at pk, but the middle of the pull was a solid 10-12hp better. Too bad you didn't get to test the 2x4 setup. I'm sure there's still more hp with that arrangement. :yes:

Garret, those sbc guys needed a new sheriff anyways.:yes: The old sheriff disappeared over a year ago and smallblock land is running amuck with these pesky junkyard LS engines. :eek::D
What's an LS engine??? :confused:

#39 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll try to get some of the sheets posted up by next weekend. This build was a long time coming together and I couldn't be more happy with how it turned out. It is nice when a plan comes together!

The bad thing about this stinking HP bug we all have........I'm already planning on where to extract some more HP :D

I better figure out how to get this dude down the track as it is first though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.