Team Chevelle banner

1969 L78 Production

18K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Mr69 
#1 ·
Looking for info on production estimates on L78 1969 El Caminos.I assume all estimates of Chevelles included the El Camino and therefore there is no actual El Camino only info out there. Any El Camino production # gurus out there that can help??

#3 ·
The information given is fun speculation, but I wouldn't go around quoting those numbers that are listed on the website. As Don suggested, read the disclaimer. After studying the numbers, I've decided that all the bigblock information is derived from a few previously published production numbers:

There were 86307 Z-25 conversions.
There were 5620 8 cyl. 300 deluxe post cars built.
There were 7181 8 cyl. 300 deluxe hardtops built.
There were 286,162 8 cyl. Malibu hardtops.
There were 8443 8 cyl. convertibles built.
There were 39000 8 cyl. Custom El Caminos built.
There were 17358 L34 cars built.
There were 59,786 L35 cars built.
There were 9,486 L78 cars built.
And there were 400 L89 options.

The total number of L78 options published as 9486 most likely includes the 400 aluminum head L89 options. It has also been previously published that there were only 8876 L78 engines and 412 L89 engines built at Tonowanda. Note that that leaves 210 (only 400 of the 412 L89 engines were installed) cars without engines. Speculation is that these bodies became COPO cars with L72 engines or that there is an error.

I have an idea about the 113 other cars that had 396 engines but were not SSs. I read a book awhile back about police cars and think the book mentioned police cars; Malibu (or 300) 4-doors with 396 engines. I don't remember if a production number was mentioned. I'll have to go back to the library tomorrow and look for the book.

#5 ·
I know for sure Chevy made Chevelle 396 4-dr Police Cars in 68. I have seen an unrestored original 68 Arizona Highway Patrol car back in 1994 at the NCOA Chevelle Show. No doubt they made them in 69 also. This may account for some of the extra 396 cars that were not SS models.....Kevin

#6 ·

The book is titled CHEVROLET POLICE CARS by Edwin J. Sanow.

Here are a few quotes from the book:

"One of today's most cherished muscle cars, the 396-powered '69 Chevelle, was available from Chevrolet to do some official stoplight Grand Prix ticket writing. The Chevelle had been absent from the formal lineup of Chevrolet police cars for a couple of years."

"The Chevelle was available with the B07 police package only in the 116-inch wheelbase four-door sedan."

"The Chevelle 300 Deluxe was available in powertrains ranging from the Turbo-Thrift 250-cid Six for detective work up to the Turbo-Jet 396-cid V-8 for the most aggressive freeway pursuit duties."

"The full-size Biscayne and Bel Air got two-barrel carburetors and merely 9.0:1 compression on their 396-cid big-block engines. However, in the Chevelle, the 396 came with a Rochester spread-bore four-barrel carb and the full 10.25:1 compression. Instead of a 265 hp rating, the Chevelle's Turbo-Jet 396-cid V-8 pumped out an honest 325 hp."

The 1968 portion of the book discusses the possibility of 1968 Chevelle police cars.

"...no mention whatsoever is made in 1968 of any other Chevrolet models being available with police options. This does not mean a police-equipped Chevelle or Chevy II was impossible. It does, however, mean they probably did not exist."

There is no mention in the book of the possible quantities of the 69 Chevelle police cars.

#10 ·
There just was a numbers matching 1969 L-78 El Camino on E-bay...sweet car. Sold very fast...auction ended early.

Albert

#11 ·
I have seen an authentic build sheet for a '69 Malibu 2-door coupe, non-SS, with the L34 396 (350hp), M20, F40, power disk brakes, black with red side stripes.

I believe that 113 like it were made. I find it odd that no '69 4-door 396 "police" Chevelle has ever turned up or been documented. I don't know if any were made.

That police car photo looks like a GM mock-up. Notice the generic "POLICE" markings - not from any real police jurisdiction. And there is no proof that car really has a 396. It could be that GM planned a '69 396 4-door police edition, but never sold any.

Regarding the production totals from my poster. Yes, you should read the disclaimer. But at least my numbers are scientifically/mathematically derived (where necessary if hard data is not available). This is in contrast to the endless stream of hype, pure guessing, and BS that has been spread around concerning production totals.

#12 ·
Originally posted by dcarr:
This is in contrast to the endless stream of hype, pure guessing, and BS that has been spread around concerning production totals.
I should add that none of the "BS" is coming from this site or anyone on it.

PS: See my signature for a link to the production totals poster.

#15 · (Edited)
Well, now, would you look at that !:eek:

Is the SS hood original to the car?

Do the engine numbers match the VIN?

It's my understanding that 1969 Police issue 396 cars were 2bbl. (265hp) It would also have a painted air cleaner lid and painted valve covers.
(I have a std 1969 396 short block. JO code)
Should have come from an Impala though, or a taxi.

Is this an ex police car?

I'm guessing the hood was added and possibly the engine as well. Maybe from a wrecked SS ??

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.