Team Chevelle banner

Just bought a zz427/480 gm perf. Engine

40K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  FiredUp396 
#1 ·
Greetings from Canada.

Had a few issues with the original L78 396 and decided to "park" it under the bench.

Pondered long and hard as to what I wanted to replace it with.
ZZ454, ZZ502, build a 468, buy a 468, buy a 496 etc.
Ended up going with the GM performance ZZ427.
This engine just looks like fun !!

I wanted something I could just drive the snot out of and not worry about hurting anything.
Then if sometime down the road I decide to get wild on it, I can easily make a 468 or 496 using a new (not 35 year old block) and have a factory roller set-up to boot.

And now for the GM propaganda:
There are few engines that conjure up images of greatness like the 427 Chevy big-block. New to the GM Performance Parts lineup, the ZZ427 big-block crate engine brings back all of the good things that you remember about the 427 with a few modern new upgrades. With an updated cast iron block, a 10.1:1 final compression ratio, and an aggressive hydraulic roller camshaft, the ZZ427 offers you outstanding performance while still living on low octane fuel.
The legendary 427\" big-block Chevy powered some of the most storied cars in the history of the high performance automobile.
This latest version holds true to that tradition, offering you a tough, 4-bolt main cast iron block with all a forged internal rotating assembly.
The top half of the engine is the same as the limited edition Anniversary 427 crate engine: oval-port heads that use 2.19\" intake and 1.88\" exhaust valves work with 1.7:1 aluminum roller rockers and a .510\" intake/.540\" exhaust camshaft.
The intake is a matching, high-flow oval-port aluminum piece that gets fed the air/fuel mix from a 870-cfm carburetor. An HEI distributor, aluminum water pump, spark plug wires, and a 14\" flexplate round out the package.
Internally balanced, the ZZ427 will spin to 6000 rpm before it’s time for you to shift. The ZZ427 is an exciting trip back to one of the high points in the history of the Chevrolet big-block. With a conservative rating of 480 horsepower and loads of torque, it’s still one of the best crate engines for just about any big-block application.

Matched to my KEISLER RS500 and all the giggles you can handle for under 9 grand.

Can't wait for spring !!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Post a video when its running....

#7 ·
I'd be tempted to re-cam it as well....you may not want a 468 or 496 if you get that bad boy running really well.
You can get the ZZ502 cam for about $175 from Summit new, straight swap. I'd degree it though and probably get Crane lifters. They're not too pricey but better for high RPM.
I will post a video (probably on the dyno).

I wont be recamming it.
Why would I want to crack open a brand new engine to change out the guts and void a warranty (however poor that warranty may be) ??
This is a street car and the reason I went with this engine is the HP/torque curve on this thing. This package looks like a blast to drive and ideally suited for a stick. Check out the torque curves...the ZZ502 cam wont spin like this thing will and stops making power at 5200. This thing pulls hard to 5800 before the curve starts to even think about going south.
This package just seems to be better suited for a street/weekend cruiser car (with a stick).

#6 ·
You can get the ZZ502 cam for about $175 from Summit new, straight swap. I'd degree it though and probably get Crane lifters. They're not too pricey but better for high RPM.

#8 ·
Jim, I checked the GMPP catalog, description says it has the smaller 211/230, .510/.540 112LSA cam (same as the 454HO,502HO and ZZ454). Tech specs shows it having the larger 224/234, .527/.544, 110LSA cam from the ZZ502 motors. Tech specs also show it coming with the 770 carb rather than the 870. Which, be honest with you, I've ran both a 770 and an 870 prior, 770 was a better running carb. Can't explain why, it just was. Goodluck with it.

#11 ·
Jim, I checked the GMPP catalog, description says it has the smaller 211/230, .510/.540 112LSA cam (same as the 454HO,502HO and ZZ454). Tech specs shows it having the larger 224/234, .527/.544, 110LSA cam from the ZZ502 motors. Tech specs also show it coming with the 770 carb rather than the 870. Which, be honest with you, I've ran both a 770 and an 870 prior, 770 was a better running carb. Can't explain why, it just was. Goodluck with it.
This is a prime example of why you cant trust anything GM publishes - all conflicting info, all the time.

#9 ·
If it runs like our old L72 engine did, then you will be happy. It could idle along in traffic, take Grandma to church, or melt the tires. The choice was yours. Not killer by today's standards, but will be lots of fun for the next 200K miles.....unlike a lot of killer engines out there. I wouldn't mind doing similar with our L78.

#10 ·
My favorite street motor was the even lower performance 427, 427/390. Friend of mine had a '69 Vette, 427/390, 4 speed, 3.36 gears. Bone stock. Was a treat to either drive or just ride in. Silky smooth from idle to redline which was about the same 5800 as the new ZZ427. I know GM likes to compare the ZZ427 to the 427/425, but it's probably closer to that 427/390 but with 90 more useable docile hp.

#12 ·
Nice. I think you are gonna love it for a long time. Sure you could change/swap/add/delete/move/adjust, etc. the heck out of it and make more power, but I think just bolting it in is exactly what I would do to it too.
I am putting (completely different, I know) a new crate LS2 6.0 liter motor in my 67 Chevelle street car. Everybody say swap the cam, do new heads, add headers, etc. But I am bolting the thing in just like the General sent it out. Stock as a rock this thing is supposed to make 400 HP and lots of torque and we re-programmed the computer (had to remove the vehicle anti-theft anyways) so it's supposed to make around 430HP while having mild manners, not getting hot in traffic, and getting around 16 to 20 MPG.
Anyhow, I remember a 427 I built a couple cars back and it spun like crazy and I loved it. I think you will love yours. :yes:

#13 ·
Update.

I have about 90 miles on this engine now and LOVE IT !!!

Very crispy power and tachs up really quickly. Pulls hard throughout the entire RPM range (to 5500 anyways, haven't gone past there yet).

I haven't really beat on it yet as we are still in the break in stages but OH BABY !! 3/4 throttle in 2nd breaks the tires loose.

#19 ·
Update.

I have about 90 miles on this engine now and LOVE IT !!!

Very crispy power and tachs up really quickly. Pulls hard throughout the entire RPM range (to 5500 anyways, haven't gone past there yet).

I haven't really beat on it yet as we are still in the break in stages but OH BABY !! 3/4 throttle in 2nd breaks the tires loose.
Glad you're happy with it. :thumbsup: I'm on my third 427 and love them things.

May I ask for some clarification on the cam and carb setup? There appeared to be some conflicting info in GM's documentation mentioned earlier, and I was curious what was actually installed.

Looking for more updates as it gets broken in.

#17 ·
Sorry I forgot. Just trying to help out.

#16 ·
No, here in Alberta we do not have the same regulations as Ontario and BC do. Kind of like California and the rest of the states.

#28 ·
Re: Just bought a zz427/480 gm perf. Engine (March 24/12 UPDATE)

Greetings from Canada !!

I have everything installed and actually had the pleasure of putting a few hundred miles on the old girl (before the snow came back). Anyways all I can say is WOW !!!

This engine pulls VERY hard. Runs like a champ and so far have had no issues with it. I haven't gone too far yet just lots of short little "outings". Still paranoid about checking, double checking, triple checking all fluid levels, fasteners, etc.

I haven't really stretched its legs to far yet but from what I have done so far to date has been a real giggle. This combo with the RS500 is a blast. On the highway at 70 MPH the thing only revs at 2100 RPM. NICE !! I went with a black theme rather than chrome. RPM Air Gap, Fuel line fittings , etc. Cost me a few extra bucks but I think the look suits the car better.

I still have a few minor things left to do like get the Vintage Air A/C charged and play around with the stereo system.

No video yet but a few pictures.

Attachments

#30 ·
That looks really nice! I dig your accessory drive.

#32 ·
Thanks for all the great comments.
I guess now I have to change the emblems over from 396 to 427.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.