Team Chevelle banner

MSD: 6AL/2 Box REALLY Worth Adding to MSD 8360 Billet Ready to Run?

20K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  big_orange 
#1 ·
G’day there! I’ve just got the above MSD 8360 & Blaster SS setup and still not understanding the benefit of dropping (considerable) coin on adding a 6AL2 / 6AL box?

After reading all the search results there does not seem to be a consistent outcome in whether highly beneficial to add a box. So...

1) What is the reason why you would add a box (Multiple spark at low revs = smoother idle / pickup?) Or other performance reason?

2) Is any performance gain noticeable enough to justify the money on a streetcar (go to the strip 3-4 times a year)
3) If yes to #2, is the new 6AL2 also worth the additional $50?
4)
Suggestions on initial dizzy setup would be brilliant. Ditto good plugs/gap.

Oh, MSD tech jsut came back with "With the two boxes you name, you will gain 5-6 times more spark energy at the coil over a stock setup and you will gain a function called multi-spark where we will fire each plug multiple times during each firing. This will give you more complete fuel burn and better emission readings"

I read that as a benefit, but not clear for real world.

My setup is MkIV 454, 750 vacsec (about to be 830 annular), AirGap, presumed stock internals, extractors & 2.5” system, T350 with 2500, 3.5 diff gear and still shopping for a good performance street cam. Runs 13.8s on street rubber so far.

Any thoughts massively appreciated as I was about to order a 6AL2 this week, but now thinking would rather put that $260 toward other things.. like getting a good tune out of the 830 annular (meant to be tricky)

Cheers HEAPS! Deano

See less See more
#3 ·
The plugs either fire or they don't. A CDI has a very short duration spark, which does not work well at low RPM's, especially when compared to a HEI. To make up for that deficiency, the multible spark was invented. I had a Ford 6 that used to stumble and miss at low RPM. The plugs were set at about .035". I opened them up to .070" and no more misses. Ford Duraspark.

I like the HEI. I think GM had their hats on straight when they designed it. If I could fit one on my engine, that's what it would have. Gives a very long duration spark compared to a CDI. Just the ticket for street engines.

Do you NEED 6 times more energy if the plugs are firing? I do like the ACCEL 300+ 8 mm wires.

#4 ·
I use a ready to run Mallory magnetic dist and just installed an MSD6AL box with the only noticeable difference being an easier cold start without having a choke. My drag strip time increased by .06 which is negligible given all the variables.

If ya don't need a rev limiter, don't have cold start problems, if it aint broke don't fix it and save the cash.

#7 ·
for 11-12 second/13 second street car you don't need a 6AL...I have used just an HEI or stock points distributor with electronic conversion.And those now come with rev limiters,including a module MSD makes for the HEI
A good friend of mine here on TC has run 10's with his 540 without a sparkbox.
JMHO and experience....

#8 ·
I run an msd streetfire msd locked out timing,not a problem and not a beat missed.run it to 6500 in both motors simple and effective.no rev. limiter though.

#9 ·
i have gone from hei to msd distr/wires/6al, twice now, both times gap opened from 40 to 50 and have noticed a diff in idle and start and just what appears to be a bit more solid performance all around than a stand alone hei, also i run locked out @ 38

#11 ·
I just have the new module with the rev limiter function in my Monte only because of the rev limiter. Tt has been 4 years since I have run that car, But 10.30's with a GM HEI and the MSD module. and 10.30's with the GM module as well.

To answer your question #2. The answer is No.

Setup...depends a lot on how your car likes to react.

In the HEI in my Monte I have one of the advance weights with a very light spring and the other with no spring at all. Timing is all in at 1200 RPM (38 total), but I don't have to deal with the full load on the starter like locked out timing would require unless you add a start retard or ignition kill (another thing to malfunction). no vacuum advance

Chevelle setup is very similar..

#12 ·
If you want one, the 6AL is my choice. I ran one in my car going 9.1's at 145 mph. Do you need one? Probably not. For a low compression street car, you will probably see zero performance gain. Will it improve idle and low rpm driving, yes there is a chance. For my money, if it works leave it. Ignition has not been a major source of performance gains for me. I made the change from 6AL to 7AL2 Plus with Pro power coil and went no faster.

#14 ·
Bono454,save your money and put it to better use.I have that same distributor youre running.Very good peice I may ad.Great distributor.That little red rectangular shaped box called the MSD 6 is basicall under the hood eye candy that 99.9% of people mount by the heater box for easy eye candy access when hood is popped open.Very big fad back in the 80s to get one of those boxes to run with your ignition.Years ago I used one and it didnt do anything except make more engine bay clutter and more hard earned money wasted.So,you can do as you wish,but IMO,use that money towards something more beneficial.

#15 ·
add another vote for 'spend your money elsewhere'......
swapped from old mallory unilite setup to MSD with 6al box and gained a rev limiter, thats it.
In fact, only time Ive ever seen any measurable gains from ignition work was when swapping from points to electronic, or if the original ignition system was sick and/or out of tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.