Team Chevelle banner

200R4 vs 700R4 tranny?

134K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  toofastforyou 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 69 chevelle, with a turbo 350 auto. transmission with a 3:55 rear end. I am thinking of changing to an overdrive transmission. Any thoughts on the 200R4 vs 700R4 models and which would be best for my car. No racing here just pleasure driving. Main reason to switch would be for better gas mileage on the freeways and around town. Thanks

DJM:confused:

#3 ·
What Zombie said. I did that swap in my 70, re-used the driveshaft, crossmember, cooler lines, shift linkage, cable bracket at the carb, etc. had to move the crossmember back, 2 of the holes were already drilled. got a shorter park brake cable.

Reactions: Kirk's67SS
#4 ·
Had a 200R4 in my 70 - Loved it but make sure you can hook it up - that low first gear rocks. :D Had a 3:31 rear and it was damn near a perfect combo. 3:73 might be a little better but I don't know how you would ever hook it up if you had any power at all.

LK

#5 ·
200 is an easier swap. Otherwise, trans vs trans has been beaten to death and always turns into a pointless argument/ opinion thread. For pleasure driving one would be as good as the next, so a 200 is the simpler choice.

#8 ·
But the 700 requires a new or shortened driveshaft and I think a new yoke (which is usually a few hundred dollars at least), and maybe crossmember modifications... But not too much more work

The 200 is pretty much a direct swap for a TH350 or Powerglide...

#9 ·
I will say I have enjoyed the 200-4R in my 70 as well. I went from a TH350 and 3.42 gears and the difference on the highway is phenomenal. 1st Gear is a great improvement too.

The 700 does have a steeper 1st gear but the 1st to 2nd ratio is not as desirable (IMHO) and the OD is a .7 vs a .67 (probably negligible at best) but does not bolt right up as previously mentioned. Be aware that not all drive shafts will bolt right up to the 200 and I and a few other members have had to have theirs shortened by about 3/4 of an inch or so.

#10 ·
I believe in stock form the 700R4/4L60(not to be confused with the 4L60E as it is eletronic) is stronger than the 200R4.

I will likely be installing a 700R4 in my chevelle because I have one and the parts are much more common. I type 200R4 in craigslist and I found 1 transmission, I type in 700R4 and I found over 50. If 200R4s were more popular I would lean in that direction for a few less RPM's and easy install.

#11 ·
This is like the Chicken or the Egg ! I have a 700R4 in my driver 70 SS 468 Sta. Wgn. Installed it in 2003. NO Problems. It has around 30-35000 miles on it. NO I do not race it, Just drive it everywhere. ( 3000-5000 a year) Also, I am using the 307 driveshaft that was shortened around 2"
I would guess either a 200 or a 700 would be fine for a driver. On the interstate, I get over 20 MPG. With the A/C on it drops to around 18 MPG.
What ever you choose " You Gonna Like it ! "
My 468 in cruise control at 73 MPH. is turning 1950 RPMs. I have a 3:07 open 12 Bolt.
Bob

#12 ·
Yes the 200 has better ratios and usually doesn't require driveshaft shortening, but I'm in the middle of a 200 4R rebuild and I'm finding that 200 parts aren't as common and can be a little more expensive than 700 parts. Also it seems that in stock form (with a few exceptions like the Buick GN's) the 700 is a little stronger than the 200. There were many 700's in Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds, trucks, big cars, etc. The 200's were usually put in cheaper, lighter, lower powered cars. But with a few low cost upgrades the 200 can equal or surpass a stock 700 in strength. Then I believe in ultimate strength the 200 can be built stronger than a 700 but expensive.

#15 ·
I'm with you Von, I chose the 700R, since I had one in my 88 P/U for 20 years and have the 4L60 in my 93 Vette...No problems with either and love the way it works with a healthy small block. If you can be sure the 200R is properly built up, I say it's a flip a coin proposition...200's tend to be a bit more expensive to buy and that negates the cost of shortening the drive shaft. Either way, it's a big improvement over the Powerglide.:hurray:

#14 ·
#18 ·
#19 ·
I had Art Carr in Huntington Beach build me a 200r4. Right now, as I am building my car, I stuffed an extra 350 motor I had in storage so I can also drive the car. So, with the kind of power you are making a 200r4 would be an awesome choice.
Art said he build mine to handle 750hp which is what my 496 makes so well see when I swap motors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.