Team Chevelle banner

turbo 350 interchange

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  68bye 
#1 ·
Hey, Just wondering what the difference is between a th350 from a 72 chevelle and one from a 81 camaro? I know the camaro one has an electrical plug on the driver side, don't know what for.
Does anyone know if the camaro one will work in the chevelle?

Thanks

#2 ·
it'll bolt in and work, but the 81 model has has a lockup torque converter- which is what the electrical plug is for. i think it is also a weaker trans, and if you get that tv cable out of adjustment, the trans will have a short life.

#3 ·
TV cable on a TH350 is just a kick down cable. Line pressure is set by the vacuum modulator, not the TV cable. Plug is for a lock up converter and you can run without it. There is a metric TH350, I believe it is called a TH350C (bot not 100% sure on this).

#5 ·
the question at hand is about the TH350C- which does have a tv cable and not a traditional kickdown cable.
i once had a real odd duck- it was a long shaft TH350 out of a mid 80's 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive pickup that had a TV cable and no plug in it for a lockup converter. i don't know what that thing was actually called, or if it was even any good, but it was weird.

#6 ·
The turbo 350 was available with a six inch (common) nine inch and twelve inch tail housing lengths. In the late seventies and eighties there were also turbo 250C that basically was a turbo 350 with a front band (you will see the band adjustment bolt on the top near the front) that was good for stock use and a turbo 200 that has a one piece case (no separate tail housing) that have a real bad reputation due to the line pressure being regulated by the TV cable and were prone to slipping and burning up.
Paul

#8 ·
I'm with Schurkey on this one. My Hanes book calls the TH350 cable a detent or downshift cable and that the vac modulator line pressure and shift points. It calls the TH700-R4 and TH200-4R a TV cable that combines the function of the vac modulator and downshift cable. It doesn't specifically mention the 350C one way or another though.

#9 ·
head to the closest junkyard and start looking at cars and trucks from the early 80's, and you will find TH350's that have TV cables instead of kickdowns. maybe you'll even find one like the one i mentioned a few posts back with a TV cable and no electrical plug in the side. i think that was still a TH350C- but one of the really early one's that used hydraulic pressure to lockup the converter. the one i had was in an 85 GMC pickup, but who knows if it was original to the truck or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.