Team Chevelle banner

Correct Super Sport STRIPES (1970-1972)

32K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Gold 70 
#1 ·
Hello.

I have seen alot of 1970 to 1972 Chevelles for sale with different width stripes. On the rear deck lid they have the Super Sport stripes but some have wide (half foot from edges of deck lid) and some have thin (one foot from edges of deck lid). Which width of stripes is correct?

Thanks.

#6 ·
In the Assembly Manual I have, the drawing in the above post is not the same. The dimensions are different and it shows a cowl hood.
Also, note the title block as to which models each drawing pertains to. The above drawing was for all models, whereas this drawing is for the SS only.

Looking at the title block, revisions to dimensions and model #s were made on 4-24-70. That would indicate that the early 1970's were different. The number in the column with the heading "SYM" matches the circled number in the drawing.

#7 ·
A common mistake is to start the trunk stripes at the same width that the hood stripes ended at the windshield. This results in the trunk stripes being too wide. The trunk stripes should stay narrow as per the measurements in the assembly manual.

#8 ·
So let me get this straight... SS cars withthe D88 option (part of the SS package unless a stripe delete was added) prior to 4-24-70 got the thinner stripes overall (10.52" including the thin pinstripe) or 11.80" including the thin pinstripe surrounding the main stripe? Am I getting this right?

#9 · (Edited)
The 4-24-70 date is the day the draftsman made the change to the drawing. The actual production change date could be different, sooner or later, I couldn't say.The earlier post's drawing date is in 1969, I can't make out the month and day. The earlier cars would have got the 11.80" stripes and went to the narrower 10.52" stripes with the change. Thats my understanding.

Maybe someone else on the forum knows how close these dates usually were. There were more changes made within the model year.

#10 ·
How's this to stir the pot. If I measure my trunk stripes. I get 10.52" for the width of the actual stripe without the pinstripes but get 11.80" if I measure from the outside including the pinstripes!

#12 ·
I just recently went through the samething. I was ready to send my pre made stencil kit back the NPD. It turns out the size of the stripes were changed the first week of April 1970. So if you have a Chevelle with a built date before 04 A 70 the larger size would be correct. Anything after that would be the smaller size.
Steve

#13 ·
Any body remember some discussion (not on this site) years ago about the LS5 and LS6 cars from the Arlington plant having the early style stripes, including no rounded corners. I have a completely original 71 LS5 with dimensions from the early drawings including the square outside corners as shown in the early drawing. The original owner is a friend of mine and the car had 100% original paint when I bought it. This should add fuel to this tired thread!

#16 ·
My friend had the new chevelle less than a month the first time I ever saw it in 71. I had a 70 396 car from th Arlington plant qat the time. The first thing I thought was the dealer applied the stripes and screwed them up. But if the Chevrolet dealer applied the stripes why would they use a layout they probably had never seen. Unfortunately when I bought the car in 1988 the left door panel had been removed for some reason and no build sheet. Also no build sheet under right carpet or back seat so no proof of D88 from factory. Guess I need to start another thread looking for original paint LS5 cars w/D88 from Arlington plant (HA).

How did some of us end up taking this stuff so seriously. With my 65 ragtop I threw away anything with a "matching #" and have had more fun with it than any Chevelle I've ever owned.

#17 ·
"With my 65 ragtop I threw away anything with a "matching #" and have had more fun with it than any Chevelle I've ever owned."....

truer words ever spoken?...i've had a couple SS's and a plain jane anything can be quite liberating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.