Team Chevelle banner

1966 guages / speedometer lens question

6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  DaleM 
#1 ·
I am "cloning" my 66 Malibu to a 396 SS copy. With regards to the speedometer, the car was an original bucket seat/console car, with no guages. The clock was integral to the console so the little clock hole in the speedometer lens was there but plugged with a factory appearing white plastic plug.

I polished my original speedometer lens and was going to use it but instead decided to put in a set of aftermarket guages. If I do that the clock adjustment hole needed to be eliminated. So I bought an aftermarket speedometer lens with no hole (for factory gauges without clock- floor shift model). But compared to the original lens the aftermarket mphs line up for 60 mph only, otherwise the speed is off on the speedometer on both sides.

Question is with the 1966 factory guages was there a clock hole in the speedometer lens that was filled in with a plastic plug, or no clock adjustment hole at all? thanks...

#5 ·
May not be the case for the OP but I read on either this forum or a vendor's description that those lens numbers and speedo marks are different between 66 and 67. OP could have ended up with a mis-match.

#4 ·
On a related subject - I am slowly learning to discipline myself to double check all fitment/operational issues of aftermarket parts prior to install and make necessary adjustments/modifications prior to buttoning everything up.

I guess I was too much of an optimist - thinking that parts would slide right in and work as expected.

For example: I just installed a complete turn signal assembly and the last step was fastening the signal lever. The OEM screw bottomed out on the repop cancel cam pivot screw which was 1/2" longer than it needed to be. Had to dis-assemble, modify and re-install. No one to blame but myself I guess.

Oh well, not complaining just relating lessons learned. Imagine how it would be without repops. It's still better than roaming through salvage yards and failed attempts at re-conditioning used parts - if you could even locate them.

#6 ·
Gus is correct, the mph markings are different between 66 & 67. Way too often, aftermarket suppliers list 66/67 items to be the same. While they may fit, they're not correct.

Note the spacing between the 0 and 10-20 on the 66 cluster above compared to the 67 cluster below.

When gauges were ordered in either year there was no plug for a clock hole as it didn't exist.

#7 ·
My '66 SS has a plastic plug in the lens where you could have opted for the 'SS' guages. Mine looks like the top photo in the posting by Dale. It's original bucket seats so has the clock on the floor console. The plug is basically right behind where the shifter arm covers in the photo.
Also, I noticed the discrepency in the numbers when I ordered an aftermarket lens as well. I ended up just polishing up the original (which looked great at that point anyway) and calling the vendor about the numbers. They didn't offer an explanation so I'm glad to know why it was probably off. Thanks Gus and Dale for that!

#8 ·
When I ordered a speedo lens for my 66 from OPGI, I noticed the numbers were off too. I took a picture of the new lens on top of the original and sent it to OPGI to show the difference. They said they were sorry but they never heard of this problem before and all the new lenses are the same.

This is the first time I ever heard 66 was different from 67 so that makes sense. Does anyone know who sells the correct lens for a 66?

Attachments

#12 ·
The high beam indicator lamp moved to the speedo face in 1967. It's present on all 67 non-gauge clusters. On a 67 factory gauge cluster, the high beam indicator moved back to the leftmost rectangular lamp just below that small hole.

There are several variations clusters for both 66 and 67 depending on which options, such as gauges, speed warning in 67, transmission (column or floor), etc. The high beam hole in the 67 non-gauge cluster is a dead giveaway when someone installs aftermarket dash gauges and claim it's factory. :noway: Look for the high beam hole in a 67.

#11 ·
I checked Ground Up and they look the same as 67 although they are listed for both years.

I'd guess they all get the lens from the same supplier. I looked at Eckler's El Camino store and while I didn't find the lens they do have a speedometer assembly that's also listed for 66 & 67 so that's wrong for one of the two years as well.

Looked at NPD and they also list the same lens part number for both 66 & 67. Probably have to find a good used one. :sad:

#14 ·
Just so y'all know
the reproduction speedometers do NOT have a hole for the bright lights.

I added the gauges but kept all of the indicator lamps in my 66, so I wanted the bright light indicator in the speedo.

Drilled a tiny---so now I have one----but it is round and not rectangular.

#15 ·
Just so y'all know
the reproduction speedometers do NOT have a hole for the bright lights.

I added the gauges but kept all of the indicator lamps in my 66, so I wanted the bright light indicator in the speedo.

Drilled a tiny---so now I have one----but it is round and not rectangular.
66 speedos don't have that light hole anyway (neither gauge nor non-gauge dashes). The hi-beam indicator on all 66's is in one of the idiot light slots below the speedo.

#16 ·
Yep---aware of that----but I updated my brakes, and then used 67 indicator lamps
oil, alt, brake, temp along with the gauges.
So, I needed the high beam in the speedo.

Besides--just tossed that info out in the event one needs to replace his
speedometer on a 67 with indicators.

#18 ·
Depends if you're talking factory gauge or warning lamps dash.

1966 factory non-gauge dash with warning lamps - no BRAKE warning lamp.

1967 factory non-gauge dash with warning lamps - BRAKE warning lamp now standard.

1966 & 1967 factory gauge dash. BRAKE added to 66 and moved for 67 to rightmost lamp pod. Also note BRIGHT moved to leftmost lamp pod.

Ref: 1966 & 1967 Chevelle Reference CD(s)
http://chevellecd.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.