Team Chevelle banner

Super Chevy, '66 L79 El Camino?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  DaleM 
#1 ·
I was just going through a SC mag last night, and they have an article on what is suppossed to be a very rare '66 Elco. L79 and M22. The owner claims various "experts" have validated it. The owner has spent "years" restoring it.

So, aside from the L79 not being available in '66, what is wrong with his restoration of his "rare" truck. 10 bolt rear. M22? Wasn't that just a 'vette option in '66?
Painted valve covers. Iron intake. No Crankcase venting from the oil filler tube. Small balancer. Single snorkle aircleaner housing. I saw some other things that look plenty suspicious.

Just wondering if anyone else had seen it.

#2 ·
I was just going through a SC mag last night, and they have an article on what is suppossed to be a very rare '66 Elco. L79 and M22. The owner claims various "experts" have validated it. The owner has spent "years" restoring it.

So, aside from the L79 not being available in '66, what is wrong with his restoration of his "rare" truck. 10 bolt rear. M22? Wasn't that just a 'vette option in '66?
Painted valve covers. Iron intake. No Crankcase venting from the oil filler tube. Small balancer. Single snorkle aircleaner housing. I saw some other things that look plenty suspicious.

Just wondering if anyone else had seen it.
The L79 was available in 1966, albeit a late introduction in March of 1966. I would have thought it would have a 12-bolt rear and would have had an aluminum intake (casting #3890490/part #3893694), carburetor either GM #3903389/Holley #3806 (manual trans, no A.I.R.) or GM #3903391/Holley #3607 (manual trans, w/A.I.R.)., and same closed engine positive ventilation system (K24) w/PCV valve in oil filler tube and vent hose going from draft tube hole to air cleaner. Very little is shown in the AIM concerning the L79 except one diagram showing the same type of generator brackets used on the 67 version and general references to other items but nothing on any chrome dress-up package like the 65 or 67 versions.

I haven't found any source on how many were sold but do have a source that says it was a $190 option.

Remember too that magazines will print just about anything the owner claims and even well known legend clones tend to turn into the 'real' thing over time as adjectives like 'recreation', 'tribute', etc tend to get dropped. :yes:

#7 ·
As Dale said, 12 were installed in '66 chevelles.( I believe Mike Crown's first '66 was one of these.) Acording to Alan Colvins' Chevrolet by the Numbers series books.... the M22 was introduced in '65. I believe they, about a dozen give or take, were all installed in Gran Sport racing vettes that year. He shows in the book the Muncie plant shipment orders for that year, and the M22 was offered, but not for regular production till '66.

#5 ·
Dale,

As the M22 was an "endurance" tranny, would there be a NASCAR or SCCA connection there? Perhaps even export?.

#6 ·
Nice truck , but I did not see or read anything that would make it a L79. At a glance it looks just like the 275 horse 327 in my 67 before I added the correct 67 chrome covers from my old 67 SS Camaro.

#8 ·
Tailfins and Bowties put the M-22 option at 12 for the chevelle SS and El Camino. There is not an L-79 option shown for 66 Chevelle. The book shows some late introduction options so one would think he would show the L-79 for the Chevelle. His book has been pretty reliable so far.
I agree the engine does not have any of the "standard" L79 dressing that it would have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.