Team Chevelle banner

House of Kolor KBC11 over gold or silver?

35K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  ryfrat 
#1 ·
I want to try house of kolor kbc11 kandy red.Does anyone have any experience with this paint?Should i use gold or silver and what number gold or silver?Pics would help if anyone has sprayed this kandy red on a car.The color chips on there web site says over bc black or cinder red but,the chips look like crap over the computer.

#5 ·
How much paint experenice do you have? Candy colors are SUPER tuff to pull off

unless you are a pro. Gold would the choice..............Good luck.

www.howardsbackyardautobody.com :beers:
I do paint but backyard man myself.I'm going to have a friend of mine do it.He works at a chevy dealership and paints tri coats all the time.This is not the true kandy,UK colors are the true kandy,this is the base coat kandy KBC.

#4 ·
I sprayed the kbc01 brandywine on my corvette. I think it turned out ok, by no means perfect. I dig have problems with vertical tiger stripes (even though it was painted length wise) I believe I read its due to the reducer flashing off and not allowing time for everything to blend, it was painted in my garage so I used a fast reducer. I love the house of kolors paint so far and I intend of painting my chevelle with black and some sort of pearl in it. this is just a pic of the speaker box.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~mheath99/corvette/2.jpg

Mike

#8 ·
True Candy Colors are a three step process.The cost of a real candy paint job is
$8000.00 and up.If he's using a B/C its not candy and I would not tell anybody what color
it was but red.Some car people will chew you a new one,if you told them it was a true
candy.B/C is OK,just say its red,

www.howardsbackyardautobody.com :beers:
Talked to house of kolor today.This is a kandy it just has pearl in it to make it easier to spray.Because of the pearl you can use it as a base coat but,different basecoats with this kandy would give different effects.Thats what i'm asking?There isn't a jobber close and I was going to order it online.The UK version is the harder one to spray and is deeper but ,they are both Kandy Red.So I am looking to tricoat it,prob will use the gold just what one?They a have a buch of golds.Need someone to chime in that uses this stuff.

House of Kolor Candy Apple Red Paint
Kandy Base Coats are a mixture of Kandy and select Pearls into a SHIMRIN® Universal Base Coat that mimics a Kandy finish. They feature low build, fewer coats, are easy to apply, and touchups are easier than ever. Available in the same great 20 colors as our regular kandys. Due to their unique chemical make-up they may be top coated with either an acrylic lacquer or urethane enamel.

#7 ·
If its KBC11 your going to use you will not need to spray a silver or gold base. It would be applied as a regular 2 stage or BC/CC. I would go for real kandy if you can. You will be much more happy. we have done several kandy jobs and NOTHING really looks like kandy other than kandy. There are some nice tri coats and KBC colors that look great but they just lack the EXTREME depth and glow of a real kandy. The KBC colors do look good but you arn't gonna trick anybody into thinking its kandy. If you do a true kandy I would recommend you find someone that has sprayed a few to shoot it for you. I have seen painters of 15yrs that can shoot any factory color perfectly but they really struggle to do a kandy and kandy is very unforgiving and costly but its AWESOME looking when its done

#9 ·
Thats the problem ,I don't want to spend all the money and have it come out like crap.I would be happy with a nice red.I was going to use a factory color but.then I seen these.I was told I don't have to put down the gold but,it would cover better and have a little more pop.I need my friend to paint it,getting a deal and he has a booth and and oven.I don't know of anyone that can paint a true kandy.I was just going to go with Chrysler inferno red.I think this would look better????

#10 ·
Chrysler inferno red is pretty nice and you could have your painter throw some more pearl in the mid coat or a coarser pearl on the mid coat to give it more pop. It would probably be cheaper that HOK too. If you have a Sherwin Williams Automotive paint store in your area check out there Planet Color line of products. They have some REALLY cool tricoats that look super close to kandy. The use crushed glass and other cool stuff to get the pop. Its also easy to match up later down the road if need be

#11 ·
The GM dealership where my buddy works uses standox and very expensive.A gallon of clear is almost 400.00 bucks hok is 200 for the setup.The 09 inferno red is bc/cc code prh or prj the pel is a tricoat but,I thought the hok would look better????The only serwin wiliams jobber is napa and I don't think they mix tri coats.What do ya think??Now i'm stumped.

#13 ·
I think if you do the tricoat version of the inferno red it will look compareable to the HOK

As far as other reds look through some of your buddys chip books at work. Hopefully he has more than just GM chip books. Also hit some new car lots and look at the colors on there new cars. Lexus had a really nice red they came out with its called Matador red mica heres a pic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.