Team Chevelle banner

GMPP BBC Serpentine Kit - GM Performance 19172805

15K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  BB_Mike 
#1 ·
Anyone using this kit on their BBC A-body, Summit is showing the PS pump might hit the steering box, wondering if anyone has had this issue.

Looking to get a serpentine kit and this like like a nice setup for $700. Also looking at the march setup, but it's quite a bit more. The GMPP includes the water pump, PS pump, A/C, and brackets.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I have this setup brand new in the box and never used.I purchased it for my 70 Chevelle and never used it because I went to an electric water pump and no longer use the car on the street.
PM me if you are interested in the kit
Vinny

#6 ·
i talked to gmpp about this kit on my 70 monte carlo and they had installed one on their 70 project car with whatever big block they were using and was told a little grinding on the box was needed for pulley clearance,might have to make sure of whatever mounts you are using as they will determine how much grinding is needed. i had to modify my whole kit because of the gearbox being 4"forward,could not mount the ps pump whatsoever.

#11 ·
Bump.

I might be using this kit on my 71 chevelle with a big block.

If I was getting the brackets only and needed to get the A/C, Alternator, P/S, what vehicle would I quote to the parts counter people?

What vehicle would I suggest to them for the remote resevoir Power steering setup? Is that power steering pump a smaller profile insuring that I would not contact the steering gearbox?

Can I get an aluminum reverse direction water pump from an aftermarket supplier?

#12 ·
Also,
what are your thoughts on this:

http://www.kwikperf.com/bbc_serp_kit.html

It seems like the better option of the two if you can find the pieces and parts that they do not sell. I am looking into it now...

#13 ·
Also,
what are your thoughts on this:

http://www.kwikperf.com/bbc_serp_kit.html
I had one of these put together and mounted on my 67 El Camino BBC, even adapted to use a Sanden compressor for the A/C. Had to put it together in a certain order to get the PS pump in and clear everything but it did fit and looked pretty good. I had the aluminum SBC brackets powder coated and it looked pretty trick. Unfortunately my computer took a crap and I lost the pics. The problem with a 66 or 67 is that the switch to a LWP results in not enough room for a fan. You might be able to get an electric fan setup in there, but a regular fan or flex is out. I think Don at Alumitech has a setup which will clear it now. I had a conversation with him at the time, and he was working on it but it wasn't yet available when I tried it (several years ago). The cars which came with a LWP should be no problem.
John

#14 ·
Hey Mike I am Frank with the kit. I think the GMPP setup is just too heavy for a performance application, maybe any of the cheaper budget serpentine setups are too heavy. If you arent spinning your motor real high, probably arent with turbos you'll have more than enough power, maybe just re-evaluate staying with standard v-belt? I was all hot and bothered for the serpentine setups at one time and then once it was a pain I did a v-belt and it has worked fine.

Let me know I am totally willing to send it to you I just think it is too heavy. The weight difference is like going to aluminum heads on your BB and adding the weight of iron heads back on!!!

#15 ·
The weight thing is Huge! I bought a setup from my local Chevy dealer. The brackets in the one I got are cast steel (= HEAVY). Then add the problems of the PS pump hit the steering box, and fan clearance...I went back to V belts. Using the SBC setup puts ALL of the accesory drive hubs in the same plane and moves them in toward the WP. The result in 66-68 models (don't know about 64-65) with limited room between motor and radiator is that in addition to no room for a regular fan, the accessory drive pulleys interfere with the motor of electric fans, whether using one or 2. There are some pretty thin Spall units with high CFM that might work. SOmeone on here (TC) has a working setup - search the topic and you should find the thread. Include my name (phocksphyre) as I was involved in the discussion. This has been covered pretty well on a couple of occassions.
John
John

#17 ·
And $2k plus $2k plus $3k = a lot of money!!

Ok, I found that I can get into the aluminum SBC setup for not much money. I just like the option of getting my parts from the local stores and having to call March or Billet Specialties. Besides, I've never been once to sit there with a rag and polish my engine bay.

GM does not offer one of the brackets, but I have found them on e-bay for not too much money. I estimate I will save about $1000 over the cheapest True Track setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.