Team Chevelle banner

Changed spark plugs yesterday, now I'm getting a burning smell (???)

41K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  427L88 
#1 ·
Hey guys, the title of this thread says it all. I changed out my plugs yesterday. I'm not the most engine-savvy dude, but it was a straight forward swap out. Once the plugs were all in, I started the car up and took it up the highway to see if there was any improvement. After a few minutes, I noticed a burning smell. The engine ran fine, the idle was even, and everything seems to be in good working order. But the smell is noticeable and hasn't gone away. I drove the car a total of about ten miles, and when I got back to the house I could still smell it. Any ideas of what this is about? I figured maybe it was just the 'new spark plug smell'??? I've never changed plugs in a car before. Always let my mechanic do it, but I've never heard of plugs burning before...

#2 ·
Any spark plug wires touching the exhaust?

#3 ·
I'll check at lunch time. I have these plastic spacers on the wires, but they are really friggin' close to the headers. It's almost unavoidable though, because of the proximity of the plugs to the headers, and where the wires have to go to get to the distributor. I don't understand why they designed it like that.

#4 ·
I'll check at lunch time. I have these plastic spacers on the wires, but they are really friggin' close to the headers. It's almost unavoidable though, because of the proximity of the plugs to the headers, and where the wires have to go to get to the distributor. I don't understand why the dey designed it like that.
not mean't to be a jab but,The cheaper headers are like that. If you ever need to replace them,buy a 'top of the line" header & they will have more spark plug clearance.

#5 ·
Yeah, you're likely burning one.

Here's a novice spark plug changer tip: I've found it to be stupid easy to break a new wire; I've done it a few times.

I always check "new" wires with a VOM. I always pull from the boot, and even bought a little tool to do that well ( it can be made easily).

Once you find your burning silicone, test the wire. They usually pull from under 1K to near 3K resistance depending on length.

Unless they're the good old solid core wires I used to run before the MSD. That's ZERO OHMS!

#6 ·
What did ya find? Evan

#7 ·
Evan,

No, I don't think it is "new spark plug smell". As other have mentioned, check your wires to make sure that a wire, or boot, is getting fried by the headers. All headers, even the "good" ones will come very close to the spark plugs in some of the cylinders. Also, your new plugs may be slightly longer than the ones they are replacing. Care must be taken and as other have mentioned too, it is always a good idea to check the resistance in the wires when changing plugs.

#8 ·
NOT normal for spark plugs to make a burning smell into the cabin. I can’t imagine it’s good to breathe those fumes, either. Does it smell sort of like a rusty strange metal smell or burnt plastic? If you want you can give me a call I may be able to help you go over your work. 434 327 3115

#9 ·
Rells that is a nice offer but i sure hope he has it figured out by now as that event happened 11 years ago. The original poster hasnt logged onto this website for 8 years.

Reactions: davewho1
#16 · (Edited)
If only 1 or even 2 words match then its watch out !!! here comes 5 of the most useless posts they could find.I just don't understand how they could find that being relevant to anything ?
Maybe if they took the authors post count into the equation it might help get more relevant content,

Reactions: 427L88
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.