Team Chevelle banner

6272292 BBC heads mystery

29K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  pdq67 
#1 ·
Anybody have some real info on these heads, I know they are open chamber.
They also have a large area of material missing behind the exhaust valve opposite of the spark plug. Will this help flow or no benefit. Anybody ever flow tested. just curious. i have a set that have 2.25 I, and 1.88e valves and have been ported quite a bit, they seemed to work well but have no idea what they are capable of. I will get them flow tested and find out, but if anybody has any info it would be appreciated. Thanks, Brian

#2 ·
blue66 said:
They also have a large area of material missing behind the exhaust valve opposite of the spark plug. Will this help flow or no benefit. Anybody ever flow tested. just curious. i have a set that have 2.25 I, and 1.88e valves and have been ported quite a bit, they seemed to work well but have no idea what they are capable of. I will get them flow tested and find out, but if anybody has any info it would be appreciated. Thanks, Brian
Hi Brian, these are the identical heads used on the LS-5 BB from the Chevelle and the Corvette. The part number on these heads is 3999241. Different number, similar casting. The same casting was also used on the 402's in the Chevelle's. On the LS-5 we recently delivered with a 9:1 C.R. we made 410 HP and 485 Ft.Lbs. but with a 4.250" stroker. Hyd. roller retro and runung 15 inches vacuum. It was built for a 100% restoration. Used stock cast iron intake, Q-jet, and stock exh. manifolds. The heads work OK for their application. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.
P.S. I do believe that number,6272292, was specific to the 402 only.

#3 ·
blue66 said:
My parts interchange manual says they are 70-78 oval ports with open chambers. I kinda doubt they would have come on a '70 though as G.M. changed over to low compression in '71 so maybe my book is a little off. They apparently have been worked over quite a bit as the stock valves would have been 2.06 and 1.72 in diameter. My son had a set of 781s that had been pocket ported and big valves (2.19-1.88) and they flowed nearly 300 CFM. The 2.25 valves may be too big and will require a large bore for maximum effectiveness.

G
#4 ·
BB heads that are squared off over by the exhaust valve to match the intake valve line are actually open chambered smog heads with almost no quench!

And as big as the chambers look, they may be as small as 112 to 113 cc's!!

I figure they are still darn good heads as long as you can create the compression you want.

Please cc them so you will actually know what size they are.

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#5 ·
I have a set of these too and have looked for info on them, but have found very little. I wish more was known about them. Like would they flow like a 781 or 049?

That 496 above seems pretty tame.

#6 ·
pdq67 said:
BB heads that are squared off over by the exhaust valve to match the intake valve line are actually open chambered smog heads with almost no quench!

And as big as the chambers look, they may be as small as 112 to 113 cc's!!

I figure they are still darn good heads as long as you can create the compression you want.

Please cc them so you will actually know what size they are.

pdq67

Well the chambers look huge even when sitting next to a set of stock 049's but I cc'd them and they come out to 110's. Hope they flow well. That will make a 10.9:1 496 with a 18cc SRP piston.

#7 ·
I have the 6272292 heads on my 402.They were on this motor when I bought it as a virgin engine years ago.2 rebuilds later I have it in my 66.It's bored 60 over with KB pistons and XE 268 cam.Stock size stainless valves with mild porting.These heads work real well in this application.The heads cc'd at 111.(This engines actually for sale now as I have a 454 that Ive built going in the car.)The 454 has the same heads only their 241 castings.I had thme machined for 2.19-1.88 valves and mild porting.These heads cc'd at109 after being surfaced and I know that they were redone previously.I hope they work as well on my 454 as thy do on the 402.Just my opinion.Tony

G
#8 ·
I have a real old mag. that did a rebuild of these heads b/c they wanted to just use what came on the motor!

After it was all said and done, they did pretty darn good for open chambered, smog heads if I recall right.

I also think in the article they used 30 degree seat angles to make them create better low to mid lift suck like the Pontiac heads do.

Good heads if the CR. comes out where you want it, imho..

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#9 ·
SO they are like a semi-open chambered head. So if you pick the right pistons they could be a good head to use. I know mine dated like 1971 or 72.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.