Team Chevelle banner

64 Elky Gasser

10K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  bowtie0069 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever seen or thought about building a gasser-style El Camino?
I just was fiddling around the other day (Okay, goofing off at work!) and drew up a rendering of my 64 in gasser style. You know, straight axle and old-school Hilborn injector stacks through the hood. Huge assed rear tires, maybe open up the wheel wells. Anybody ever done that? Or did the Chevelle cops beat down the door before any progress could be made? I'm just toying with the idea, no real plans yet. Just asking for feedback.
Thanks.

#2 ·
Don't recall seeing one gasser style, but in high school (72) there was a Street Freak (Car Craft's name) style driven by a friend that was sky high all the way around, skinny Cragars in front, 15x10 Cragars with some real wide rubber on back. Nasty small block/4 spd. combo. 1/4 panels had the name "Bump Truck" painted in psychedelic font. It would have been pretty fast if it wasn't wheel hopping uncontrollably from the horrible suspension!
I have a 64 wagon, the Cragars, and just bought some "Extra High Lift" coils from J.C. Whitney....should ride almost as bad as the Bump Truck!!
I considered a straight axle, but I'm going to experiment with tall spindles and ball joints to see if I can improve on the horrible geometry we used in the old days.

#4 ·
My cousin's son-in-law had given his '64 Elky that look. I'm not sure how he'd done it but he had raised the front end and removed the bumper and the lower fender panels. Not a true "gasser" but it did look prety cool!

#5 ·
Man, those things give me some more ideas. I had forgotten about the front bumper removal. I already have the Cragars and the nasty 350/ 4 speed combo. I think a chrome tube axle would look slick. And if the parts are all saved, it would be relatively simple to put it back normal if you got tired of it. If anyone has any pictures, please post them.

#7 ·
That would be realy cool, Coker Tire has a real cool vintage cheater slick out, I have a set for my 62' when i want that old S/S look. Wide whites and black walls both avail. 820 & 1000.

#8 ·
All these ideas floating around in my head now. Only thing I don't like is cutting up the wheel wells to get those big old slicks in there. If I go that route, there is no going back.

#11 ·
Only thing I don't like is cutting up the wheel wells to get those big old slicks in there.
If you went REALLY high.........

We put the 10" M/T/Radir slicks on several cars with just a mini-tub using the stock tubs widened 2".

These are different tires than the usual ones we use:

#13 ·
No, not yet. The Elky is still in pieces in the driveway, under the carport.
No floors in it yet. I have them 3/4 fitted and am about ready to start welding. Still playing with the idea though.

#16 ·
It would be cool!!! However, I don't think I would want to do it to my camino. I rode in a solid front axle Henry J and it wasn't very fun trying to make a turn.

#18 ·
I rode in a solid front axle Henry J and it wasn't very fun trying to make a turn.
I followed Steve Magnante down 3 freeways at 75+ MPH around off ramps and such--even on slicks and skinnies it was just fine. As Steve says, it's like driving a NEW 50's pickup.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.