Team Chevelle banner

muncie 4 speed problems

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  5speeds 
#1 ·
reinstalled muncie 4 speed seems to shift ok,clutch engages & disengages ,but always in gear no neutral.disconnected linkage set all levers to neutral,still no neutral with car running. any suggestions please

#3 ·
shifter adjustment

G
#7 ·
reinstalled muncie 4 speed seems to shift ok,clutch engages & disengages ,but always in gear no neutral
It won't shift OK if it gets put together with a shift fork not in the clutch. I can't imagine how the hell you can do that to start with, backwards on the clutch maybe.

#8 ·
Have you tried to drive the car? Does it try to lock-up when you try to back it up? When you say that it is always in gear, does it just try to lunge a little, or does it actually feel like it is in gear? If trans locks up when you try to drive it, then it has a gear that is engaged when it is not supposed to be. It may be as simple as one of the shift forks were not properly installed, if it trys to lunge just a little when you let out on the clutch, then it may just be a little tight, I know that 90w on a cold morning will allow it to lunge a little.

#9 ·
the guys says: NO NEUTRAL. Has nothing to do if his clutch is releasing or not. Its always APPEARS TO BE in gear...

This is what you need to do....

Pull the transmission! More than likely either whoever rebuilt it shimmed the input in so tight so that the synchro ring is jammed up against the 4th gear cone. As Wally mentioned a slider backwards will force the transmission to appear to be in gear because the synchro ring is loaded.

Or shut it off and stick it in reverse and start it up with the pedal down and see if something breaks free. It could simply be a stuck ring. I think however the 4th ring is jammed in too tight. I see this quite often when builders are obsessed thinking that they need to shim input shafts in.

Paul
www.5speeds.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.