Team Chevelle banner

Chevy 350 Crate engine

12K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Details by Jim 
#1 ·
I ran across a friend of a friend that has a 3 1/2 year old, BUT new crate motor that he bought for a Chevelle. The crate motor was never put into his car. He said he told me he bought it 3 1/2 years ago but never put it into his car because of life issues, divorce, lost his job etc...

Anyway he showed me a receipt that showed he payed $4000 plus for it new 3 1/2 years ago. He just never did the change out. The engine looks nice, a complete engine all chromed out with chevy emblems on it etc... He told me he would be willing to sell it to me for $2000, half of what he payed for it. Sounds like a great deal ?????

My question is, with it sitting around for so long could I be looking at any potental issues with this engine if I decided to buy it. The engine is still sitting in the factory crate that it was shipped in, not sure if new crate engines are shipped with oil in them or not ? and if that could lead to potental problems ????

Anyways any information or advice would be helpfull.

#2 ·
There have been a variety of crate engines for a Chevy.
This a GM or ??
If GM ,what's the part number ?
Verify what your paying for.
Just because it's in a crate and the friend of a friend has papers doesn't mean that the receipt is for that engine.

Might also verify that it's a 350 - get the block numbers

#3 ·
Find out also what do do in the case of a new engine that has been sitting. Anything special way to lube it beside squirting some oil in the plug holes, etc?

Make sure it's the motor you want. If so and it checks out, great deal...

#4 · (Edited)
The engine is a 350 with 350hp. The engine is a turn key engine. The receipt was for $4500 and something.

I believe him that this is the engine he bought, we've been aqantences for awhile (again friend of a friends) and I knew he had the engine just sitting there for awhile. I approached him to sell it. My concerns is could there be potental problems with this engine from sitting around so long ? I'm sure exterior things could have dryed out and cracked over the course of 3 1/2 years, and again if it was shipped with oil in it can that be a problem after sitting for so long etc ... ???

I've priced Complete crate motors and the new Chevy Performance 350, 350 hp are going around $5500 without tax, so $2000 is a great deal as long as I dont have to go through the engine and end up having to replace a bunch of stuff. I personally dont want to have to go through the engine other than for exterior parts etc.....

#5 ·
It's a steal, then... You can prime the oil system by spinning the oil pump manually down the hole for the distributor. If there's oil in it, change it. Maybe the filter too, even though it's been in a box: that's one gasket that you can get to easily that might have dried out. Other guys can tell you more about starting up a motor that's been sitting, but it must be done all the time so there's a procedure! Does it have a flat tappet cam and does itneed to be broken in? I'm not sure, I've never bought a crate engine before.

#6 ·
All Crate engines I know of are shipped dry. It sounds like it may be a ZZ4 engine based on the HP numbers of 350. If it is a ZZ4 2k is a very good deal. As long as it was stored inside and in its crate with all the factory plastic plugs still in place you should be fine. You could call GM and they can tell you the procedure of starting a stored engine. It's very common to hear of engines sitting for a while before being used so I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's still clean and was stored in the factory crate. Go for it!!

#8 ·
My father in-law told me that old sitting oil can start to harden up and turn into a lacquer type of thing, is this true ?

As for the engine, it needs exhaust manifolds, and does need to be broken in. Does anyone have information on breaking in an engine or can anyone recommend a video or pamphlet on what I may need to do. Other than the reciept, the guys ex-wife has all the other paperwork on the engine and how to break it in etc... He said hes not going to ask for it, because theres no way she will give it to him, she hates him, LOL.

He said he's willing to sell it to me for $2000 and take the hit on it, because he just doesnt want to hassel with it. He told me buyer beware because he doesnt know if sitting around will have effect anything (but that was only after I asked the question, of, I wonder if sitting around will cause any problems) Again I approached him on selling it he didnt approach me, so I know hes not trying to scam me.

#9 ·
I did see some rust on the surface of where the exhaust manifolds will sit. So question ? what could be a proplem if it was sitting in a humid atmosphere. When I saw it, it was in the guys garage, but thats not to say its been sitting in that exact place for 3 1/2 years. For all I know it was outside at some point. I just dont know, so I have to look at it as having the possibility of having been outside some, at least when asking questions, so What potental problems could arrise from being around the elements of the weather ?

#10 ·
The stickies at the top of the engine forum my Scott on flat tappet cams will be helpful. Motor oil is not what it used to be when that motor was built. It now needs an additive for the old schools... And for break in- Light surface rust near the exhaust manifolds is OK. You might want to go over that with emory cloth or something to smooth it over.

#12 ·
He states "I did see some rust on the surface of where the exhaust manifolds will sit" I know ZZ4's have cast aluminum 1987-91 Corvette L98 cylinder heads, and I think so do ZZ3 so the engine must be some other type of crate engine with cast iron heads. Thoughts?

#13 ·
I don't know if we will ever find out either because he joined Team Chevelle in Jul 2003 and only has six posts; hopefully he will let us know.

#16 ·
Yeah, but he asked only 2 days ago. There's several Gold members here who have under 1000 posts and they have been around since the very beginning of this site.

If it has iron heads, it is most likely either a Vortec engine 330hp or a basic 290hp one. The chrome bowtie valve covers lead me to think if it's an unmolested crate engine it's probably a vortec. Numbers will tell for sure.

#15 ·
Im sorry to be skeptical. Aquaintence or friend it costs nothing to make a phone call wiht the #'s off the block or better yet part # shoudl be on the crate. I wouldnt trust what the guy states it is without verifying it myself. I would want to know exactly what it was regardless...Id want to know what the cam specs are, if its s hydraulic flat tappet or roller engine. Id want to know what head come with it for example....how do you know the Aluminum heads that maybe came with the motor were not swapped for some junk iron smog heads? If all checks out Id prime the engine with oil at the distributor with the propper tool, and fire it up.

#18 · (Edited)
What does it matter when I joined the site ? and how many posts I've made ? Why would I ask a question then just drop it, LOL. Its not like I have the engine sitting right in front of me, I asked the owner of the engine a couple questions and asked him if I could come over and get the #'s on the engine, and look it over. He works and has been busy, and I had to wait for a time that was good for him. I looked at the reciept wrong or remembered it wrong, butafter seeing it again it was for a GM 350 engine with 330hp. The numbers are 12496968. I did a web-search and this is the engine I saw except it had a crome air filter and all the spark plugs and wires were in the engine. It I couldnt tell if it had an oil filter in it but there was an oil dip stick sitting on top off the engine that need to be installed.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/result...ber=12496968&singlepart=1&partnumber=12496968

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/E...ll_Engine_P_N_|_SB_Engine_12496968_|_12496968

Again my concern is that I might have issues if there is oil in the engine, and can oil sitting around for to long in an engine cause issues. Also after talking to him again he told me the engine was sitting in his garage for a year then during his seperation from his wife he moved all his stuff into his friends barn. He told me the engine was stored in his friends dirt floor barn for two years while he got back on his feet. He said he's had the engine in his garage now for almost a year, but hasnt been motivated to do anything with it. SO what could be potental issues if the engine has been exposed to the elements. Looking inside the exhaust ports, the valve stems look ok, but there is some surface rust on the none painted parts of the engine. other thatn that everything looks ok. I dont know if the Carb will have issues because of parts drying out either, but the carb, had the cover on it and it looked super clean.

I'm going to buy it $2000 seems like a great deal.
1) So what would be your guys concerns ?
2) if you were buying this engine how would you proceed before installing and firing it up
3) any recommendations on preping it to fire it up ?

I do want to thank you guys for helping me out and answering my questions.

#23 ·
What does it matter when I joined the site ? and how many posts I've made ? Why would I ask a question then just drop it, LOL.
I didn't mean anything by it; It's just something life gets in the way and then you never hear another word on the subject when it drops off the first page. I was hoping this tread would stay at the top and we would solve the puzzle. Sorry if I offened anyone. Thats why I said I hope he lets us know.

#19 ·
What I would do regardless if there is oil in it or not is put fresh oil in it and pre lube it. My other concern would be the lube on the cam and lifters. It`s easy enough to pull them out and lube everything.

$2000 sounds fair but these motors were never very expensive either so for $4000 I`m guessing it came with more than he standard long block assembly. Either way still sounds like a fair deal.

#21 ·
Looking at the links provided. This engine is still going for $4000 plus tax, so $2000 seems fair as long as I dont run into a bunch of issues.

Thanks for the advice
I guess thats my fault for not looking at the links. I was talking about the standard long block that doesn`t come with intake,carb and HEI. Those use to go for just about $2000 or a little more. The deluxe kit that you linked to would definatly be a great deal for $2000.

#22 ·
I have sold hundreds of those new, and $2000 is well worth it even if you had to buy a gasket set and make sure everything inside was good. Personally, I would do like what has been said-new oil and pre-lube it. A simple cam swap could net you more along the lines of 360-370hp.

#24 ·
My question to you would be it sounds like some of the caps are missing from this engine that keeps everything out of it; is this true? If the carb cover cap and exhaust ports are open I would be a little more concerned with insects and moisture getting into things. But If they are sealed then I would just remove the intake and valve covers and pour two cans of break-in oil over everything, fill her up with good oil after changing out the oil filter, spray WD-40 in the spark plug holes, spin the oil pump so it primed, and go for it. If you have an oil pressure gauge us it. If it’s open you might have to tear it down a little to make sure dirt didn't get into the cylinders, or a critter didn't make a home somewhere that could cause problems. If this engine is still sealed I would go for it, if not that makes a big difference! You can always get a startup procedure guide from GM if you want more guidance.

#26 ·
Good points. GM never shipped with caps/covers. They bagged the engine up and tied it off to keep stuff out. They also typically shipped with oil filter and depending on the completeness of the crate engine bought, shipped the starter in a box in the crate, but not installed due to interference.

When we were building crate engines, I built many crates for small and big blocks, including having to re-crate and plywood enclose a ZZ430 to ship overseas since you needed either hardwood or pressure treated wood due to customs laws regarding infestation.

#27 ·
Bump....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.