Team Chevelle banner

shorty spark plugs

11K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  HavntHadEnuf 
#1 ·
My buddy is running some Accel shorty plugs and they foul pretty easy. Is there something better he can use? Must be the same length as the Accel shorty plugs.

#7 ·
Champion uses numbers like CJ6, CJ7, CJ8 and DJ6, DJ7, DJ8 for shorty plugs for lawnmowers. The C plugs have gasket seats, the D plugs are for tapered seats.

#10 ·
=========================

Oil or fuel fouled?

Assuming fuel fouled are the plugs too cold of a heat range as that can cause them to foul easy & in that case try hotter heat range plugs if your 100% sure timing & carb tuning is where it belongs.

Esp base timing when running non GM aftermarket cam that generally requires 2x-3x more base timing then stock gm cam does & when base timing is retartded it upsets the vacuum signal/low vacuum to carb causing running rich issues.

But if plug heat range is correct for application & plugs foule fairly quick then you likely have timing/carb tuning issues that need to be addressed that are causing plugs of proper heat range to foul.

I am also assuming plug wires,coil,cap & rotor,air filter (not clogged/dirty causing rich mixture) are all in good cond here too and if they are not in good cond they can be part of issues causing plug fouling too.

Scott

#13 ·
Accel also makes silver tip plugs that can be had in the shorty version. Just add another "S" to the part#....for instance, the 416S plug would be 416SS for the shorty silver tip. I don't know if the silver tipped ones would actually be less prone to fouling or not though.

#21 ·
There are many versions of these shorty's out there that's why I asked about the reach length. I was reading were a fellow's engine just didn't run right for many years using the shorty plug. They pulled the heads and found they needed to run the 3/4" reach plug. The plug threads in the head needed to be chased to get the crap "carbon" out of them to install the correct plugs.

#22 ·
I dont know much about the accel plugs, I always ran autolites. But Ive read that there are only a couple different part numbers but I could be wrong. Ill get the number when I see him. Maybe I can contact Dart and see what they recomend. These heads are not Pro1 heads. They are basically aluminum versions of the old Dart Sportman iron 200cc heads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.