Team Chevelle banner

best bang for buck $3000, 454 smogger

5K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  rustbucket79 
#1 ·
hey, got some cash to spend this year. here's what i have. i'm looking to spend about 3k.
454 from 1976 caprice, 781 heads, edelbrock carb 750 and performer 2.0 intake, headers. i also have a mild street cam thats still in the box comp cam extreme energy 268.
overall engine in ok shape, heads don't look very good. compression is maybe 8:1.
please take into consideration labour too, thx

#2 ·
Rebuild the shortblock, get some good pistons and throw a set of Brodix race rite oval heads on it. All engines are strictly air pumps. To make power, the heads are where it's at. Summit Racing has them for ~$850/ea and WOLFPLACE here on the forum once stated he will match it. Give him a shot.

I would dump the cam on ebay. It's a good cam - for a pickup truck. I would use a perf rpm intake if you're still bucks up. If not, keep what you've got. Install a good set of rod bolts or upgrade your rods and you're golden.

#3 · (Edited)
I would use everything you have on hand. The 781 heads can make gobs of power, look to a good valve job and maybe bigger valves depending on cost. Try to get around 9:1 compression and with that intake, cam and headers you'll have a stump puller that's easy and fun to drive.

*edit-Are you rebuilding it? I read it as such.

#7 ·
70 chevelle, has 2.73 posi 12-bolt rear, th400 trans, stock converter, headers, dual exhaust. i like the car as a daily driver, but i like to go to the drags 4-5 times a year. if i could get it into high 12's id be happy. right now it runs 14.6 best quarter mile. 2.0 60 ft. times. also i am running 18" rims all around. i know they are not good for drags, but they are staying i love em'

#9 ·
i did, just one was like 49 pages, geez.
i have done a lot of research on here, this site rocks!
here's my plan, tell me what you think.
1. install my cam: extreme energy xe268
2. 0.021 thickness head gaskets
3. new 3 series carrier with 3.55 gears
if i can get my bro to help, we might even re-ring new domed pistons
seems i have to get compression up from the current 8:1
ALSO if again i can get some help, a cheapo stall converter.
sound good?

#10 ·
i'd get some closed chamber ovals on it. be it a factory set redone, or even the brodixs as mentioned are about 10 cc's less than yours. try to get the comp up to 9 to 9.5 to 1 so you can throw some cam at it. a 750 dp carb, an off the shelf 10" 3000 ish stall converter . more gear like a set of 3.42's or 3.55's would definitly help too. you'd have to spend some money on the rear to get there unless you bandaid it with a spacer. i'd think about buying a set of 15" rims to mount a set of drag radials out back for the strip time. swap the intake to and rpm airgap, or atleast a spacer on top of what you have. lots of ways to get there, and in the end it's your decision.

#11 ·
IIRC the FM H426CP's should get you into a real world 8.5:1, H518CP's will get you into the mid 9:1 range, and might be close enough in weights with your original pistons to not require a balance job. The ICON 9919's are a buget forged piston that would be in the 9ish:1 range, and again the weights are pretty close to stock, and priced not too far off of the FM pistons. (which are hypereutectic) All the pistons I listed used "jobber" thick ring sets. (naturally, confirm the PN's before ordering, I'm relying on my memory)

#12 ·
if your tearing it down. new rings,bearings,timing chain. i'd also deck the block to get it trued up. get a set of scat rods, and some hyper. or budget forged pistons as mentioned to net you 9.5 or so comp. a balance job on it, add a bigger cam than your xe 268. keep the split duration to help the exhaust out. i'd run a hyd cam in the 235 to 240 range @50 and mid 500's lift. with the gear change and a new converter you should be able to melt those 18" condoms at will.

#13 ·
Turbocharger....

#14 · (Edited)
Actually that 268H-10 Cam is about ideal for an 8:1 Static Compression 454. If you Rebuild the heads with New Guides, 2.16/1.88 Valves and say CC-924 Springs with a Set of Harland sharp or Pro Mag Rockers you can shift over 6000rpm with out things breaking - The 268H-10 cam is a Torque Monster in an 8.1 454 ;o)

However as mentioned, you could rebuild a set of 98cc Closed Chamber 396 heads to get the compression up and run something like a 274H-10 Cam.

Take into consideration the Quench keep it between .034" and .044"; meaning you use a .018" Steel gasket if you don't Deck and the pistons are .025 down in the bore and if you 0-Deck use a composite .038" Gasket - Handy if you ever plan on Alu-Heads in the future.

And if you want to goose her cheap - Spray with a 100Hp shot - But I think you will be more then happy just on gas and your intake and carb are just fine.

If you a HWY Cruiser keep the 2.73's as that 268 Cam will torque them gears just fine. For Street/Strip you will have to change out them gears out for 3.31 to 3.73's Posi 3 Series Carrier pending what you want to do (Not 4:10's with anything under a 10:1 454)

#15 ·
Is a LS motor an option? How about a 6.0, and change the intake over to Camaro/Firebird style. Cam and springs if desired. Now you will have a modern, EFI'd motor that should get excellent MPG AND will likely outrun the 454. I think it can be done within the 3000.00 budget - at least around here anyway.

#22 ·
nah, i mean this plan.
here's my plan, tell me what you think.
1. install my cam: extreme energy xe268
2. 0.021 thickness head gaskets
3. new 3 series carrier with 3.55 gears
if i can get my bro to help, we might even re-ring new domed pistons
seems i have to get compression up from the current 8:1
ALSO if again i can get some help, a cheapo stall converter.
sound good?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.