Team Chevelle banner

Bare Metal Body...need primer???

830 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jeffkaiser 
#1 ·
I will soon have my 70 Chevelle media blasted to bare metal. I have read that it should be immediately primered. I will have lots of sheet metal replacement and body work to do over the next year. Is it required to immediaely primer the whole body?? I will be storing the body on a rotisserie in my shop, out of the elements. Thanks

#2 ·
It depends a lot on the environment. One of my old cars was stripped to bare metal for over a year with no noticeable surface rust. When I took it to another building it rusted up pretty well in a matter of a couple of weeks.

#3 ·
I used DTM primer when I stripped mine. you can do body work over it and its moisture proof. Dupont makes it and a lot of guys I know us it. I would spend the few hundred dollars now get it protected as apposed to having to take all the time and effort to deal with surface rust and the possibility of it messing up your paint job.

jk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.