Team Chevelle banner

454 LS7 crate motor???

9K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  novaderrik 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking at a Chevelle with a LS7 crate motor. The current owner said the motor was purchased in 1975 and never ran. He recently brought the motor to a race engine shop and had the compression lowered to 9.5-1. the motor was dynoed at 460hp 500tq with the new pistons and cam.(the org pistons/cam come w/purchase). I spoke with engine builder today and they comfirmed that motor had never been ran prior to them getting it and that it was a LS7. It has the "xch" stamped on block.

My question for you guys: How much is this engine worth? for example, I can get a 383 built with similar hp/tq for $7000 at local builder, so is this motor worth any more or less?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's not worth anything special, they were over the counter crate engines. They didn't come in any car, so they are not collectible, and they were 12-1 compression factory, so they would have to be run on race gas. That means they would more than likely not be desirable for a street car. And at the 12-1 compression, it's a mild race engine at about 550-575 hp. Being that it was never fired, $4-$4500?

#4 ·
I mean, the parts in it, are strong and reliable. With a roller cam change, those engine were making over 600 hp in many race cars. I remember in the mid 80's you could get them for like $2700.

#6 ·
thnks Ray and Tim.... Tim i guess my org post is a bit confussing....i would for sure keep the 454, that is the best part of the car....i was just wondering if the LS7 was collectable or nostalgic enough to increase the worth of the car....see my recent post at "what is it worth"

#7 · (Edited)
I couldnt say how much the motor is worth but, that engine bay is super clean! Do you have any more pictures of the rest of the car or a link perhaps.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found your other post in "What's it Worth"

What a beautiful car. Looks allot like my car did before the bodywork started.

#9 ·
I remember going to Berger Chevrolet in the early 70s and picking up 2 LS7s for about $2500 each. One went into a '71 Blazer and the other into a 1971 Corvette. Both for the same ER doctor who had more money than brains. Broken rearends and transmissions soon followed.

#13 ·
without the original pistons, "the engine formerly known as an LS7" might better apply.
Yes, all premium parts in the LS7. I had a chance to snag some STD bore LS7 slugs a few months ago...just no car suitable for this.

Great engine bay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.