Team Chevelle banner

1970-72 Pontiac GTO ... Hurst?

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  6704gto 
#1 ·
We were doing some house shopping around town and saw a '70-72 GTO at one of the houses. Didn't get too good of a look, since I wasn't driving, but it had a Hurst badge on the left rear side of the trunk lid, along with GTO stenciled/painted on the right side.

It was a gold color. Didn't see anything on the sides, though I didn't get too good of a look. Only really saw it from directly behind.

So, was there really something like this, or just someone getting creative and putting an Olds Hurst badge on it?

#2 ·
Hurst made some other emblems, like the "H" that said "Hurst Equipped". People put them on the car back in the day. Pontiacs all used Hurst shifters, and Hurst made some mag wheels for a while. (big $$$ stuff there) But no, no Hurst Pontiacs, per se....

#3 · (Edited)
I know OF factory 70 black Grand Prix Hurst car from the factory sets right now gold Inlays on the hood complete with moon roof also factory. Owner recently passed away Supposed to be one of three made.
In black color scheme The only one in show condition.
or running. Car is located in Owasso Okla

#4 ·
I found this.
--- The limited edition Hurst/SSJ G.Ps were introduced in 1970. Pontiac painted a Model J either Cameo white or Starlight black. Interiors were ivory,black,or sandalwood. The cars were then shipped to a Hurst plant in Southfield,MI were Frost gold paint was added on the hood,front part of the roof,and around the side glass. It also included hand painted pin- stripes, a half vinyl top(antique white,white,or black), and a power sunroof. Hurst Roll Control and Performance Computer were options. Gold Rally II wheels were standard. -no breakdowns for engine/trans combos or colors for the SSJ yet-

#8 ·
I had forgotten about the SSJ Grand Prix, but he said it was a GTO....

#11 ·
from what I have been told over the years,some off the top guys at General motors had Hurst cars built for them.They were done using Olds,Pontiac,Buick and Chevy.They were not released to the public.The chances of finding one of these cars is slim to none.It may be worth checking into but I wouldn't get your hope up.If it is one of these few car that were built,he may also be able to lead you to the 9 - 1983 Corvettes that are stored away.Woops,did I just let the cat out of the bag!!!

#12 ·
Production figures of the 1970-72 Grand Prix SSJ Hurst were: 272 (1970), 157 (1971), approx. 60 (1972).

At least Pontiac had the good sense to factory equip a genuine Hurst shifter for the 3 & 4-speeds on the Lemans / GTO / Tempest and vintage year big cars.

#13 ·
I was just looking through my old Hurst Heritage book from 1983 (out of print) and found another neat Hurst Pontiac. Pacing the 1967 Daytona 500 was a 1967 full-size Grand Prix convertible (the only year made as a convertible). The car had a 428 H.O., Hurst wheels, plus a nice black & gold paint scheme. That would be a great car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.